Peter Ewart wrote:
my late uncle Cecil Rhodes

Now there's a name to conjure with!

Shocked
Galloglas

I'm reminded of the old army chestnut.

"Grandpa fell at Waterloo, dontcha know!"

"Really, which platform?".

We should at least be told what he was late for....

G
Peter Ewart

Born 4 years after his namesake's death. His epic achievement (which he always believed would have been beyond Scott, Amundsen or Shackleton) was accomplished in the terrible winter of early 1917, while his 40 year old father was floundering in F&F, belatedly trying to make up for his earlier frustration at missing the 2nd ABW while marooned with the 1st Buffs in Nowshera & the Swat Valley.

The husbandman whose brightly shimmering knockers were surreptitiously ravelled with those of his four neighbours by a gang of 12 year olds was a toothless chap known as "Nutcracker" after the manner in which his mandibles met. He and his family had previously spent a period in Bexhill-on-Sea, 15 miles or so to the west, hence their very close proximity to Durnford's only surviving offspring for a few years.

On the centenary of the original expedition - or on the nearest frigid night I can manage - I fully intend to employ the same clovings and reefings on the self same knockers with identical results, though whether I manage to avoid the due process of the law - as Uncle Cecil was proud to have done - is another matter. And I won't be able to wait 60 years before I finally confess, either.

P.
Galloglas

"Brightly shimmering knockers..."

Steady on, old chap.

G
Paul Bryant-Quinn

I only understood about half of the words in that post, Peter. I think I've spent too long in Wales ...

Sad
Peter Ewart

Well, too long a story to explain in detail without going off topic from AWD's grave. You found some words difficult? Don't believe that from an accomplished linguist!

P

P.S. Took a 90 mile round trip for a lecture last night & drove right past said knockers ...
Coll

Peter

I'm not known for overly precise details in my own posts, but the topic was about Edward's grave not Anthony's.

Coll
Peter Ewart

Correction: ECLD's grave, not AWD's. I am connected to ECLD merely through my link (above) with AWD, whose posthumous reputation ECLD strove to protect, as you know, but with whom my connection is a little less direct than the one I already enjoy with AWD.

P.
Edward Durnford's Grave Location
liz

It is hard to describe the location of a grave, but Edward (and his wife Julia) are set behind the Church (opposed to the many graves to the side). Certainly he has a stone! He died on 30 January 1927, aged 93. When I am next in Harpenden I will take a photograph.

The comment about Rothamstead Lodge (Harpenden) is correct. This is part of Rothamstead Manor (Agricultural Research Centre) owned by Sir John Lawes. Sir John's wife, Caroline, was Julia Durnford's first cousin.

You ask about AWD's wife and daughter. Yes, I have pictures of them amongst many family photo's and artefacts relating to them and AWD. When time allows I will try to write (accurately) about the family history and AWD's contemporary family (with illustrations) and may consider passing the artefacts to a Museum for safekeeping. However, unfortunately, this is not something that will happen straight away .. but will, I hope, happen eventually!.

Liz
Coll

Liz

Thankyou very much for replying.

The info you've supplied is fascinating and of great interest to us all.

I really appreciate your kind offer of taking a photograph of Edward's grave to assist on recognition when visiting.

Again, thankyou for sharing these details.

Coll
Coll

Anyone managed to visit the cemetery and find Edward's grave location ?

Coll
Alan
Site Admin

I mentioned that I went a few weeks ago but couldn't find it. I'd need some sort of pointer.

Alan

Liz has supplied a bit of info, but it'd probably need more detail.

I seem to be too far away from everything of interest. Rolling Eyes

Coll
Alan
Site Admin

Sock it to me Coll.

I've at last managed to get to Harpenden and have photos of Edward Durnford's grave. Unfortunately, however, I've no idea how to put these on to the forum. Can anyone help?. Perhaps the easiest thing is for me to e-mail them to someone who could then put them on for me? For reference the grave is located behind the Cremation Tablets and rather inconveniently under the trees. The location number is D1 with the A's being nearest to the Church, albeit behind the Tablets. He is buried with his wife Julia (nee Penrice) and his son-in-law and one of his grandsons lie beside him (D2), with another grandson just a short distance away (C7). In fact he has 12 of his extended family in the graveyard and 5 brasses inside the Church!
Liz
Edward Durnford's Grave Location ?