rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Lance Sergeant
tom

Hi there,
Can anyone tell me if a Lance Sergeant in 1879 could also have worn GC/LS stripes.
If so,what was the maximum number?
Thanks in advance.
Adrian Whiting

Tom,

I believe the answer to be a "yes", and the maximum number of stripes to be worn would be six.

My reference is the "Royal Warrant - for the pay & promotion, non-effective pay, and allowances of Her Majesty's British Forces serving elsewhere than in India - 1878". The copy I have dates from 1st May 1878, and I believe was not revised until April 1879, thus was the Warrant in currency for the AZW.

Section 1087 states, in part, that "every soldier under the rank of...Sergeant in the other branches of Our Army" (not being Life Guards and Horse Guards)"shall receive additional pay and good conduct badges at the following rates". It is my understanding that a Lance Sergeant's substantive rank is that of Corporal, thus the Warrant would apply to him. I am sure others could correct this point if I am mistaken.

It then goes on to describe badges and pay increments at 2, 6, 12,18,23 and 28 years service. The latter is the final pay point, and attracts six good conduct badges.

For infantry these would be white worsted stripes.

This system did change, and good conduct pay and badges were later confined to all men below the rank of Corporal. This was therefore confined the Privates, and to Lance Corporals, whose substantive rank was actually that of Private soldier. I believe this change had occured by 1886, although the only reference I have to date it then is Ottley Perry in his 1887 edition of "Rank & Badges". Perusal of further Royal Warrants for pay etc would doubtless confirm the exact date of change, assisted by photographs from the time no doubt.

Martin Everett

Please remember the CG stripes were worn on the the cuff on the right arm at the time of the AZW. Later changed to the more familar left arm (in 1882?).

tom

Many thanks for the detailed reply,Adrian.
Martin,
Any idea why they changed arms?
clive dickens

Laughing
Tom
When I enlisted in the Coldsream Guards in 1953 we had Two regimental tailors and they stood around five feet in their stocking feet they had the nicknames of SNITCH AND SNATCH it was rather amusing to see them marching around Caterham Barracks among mostly six footers and as far as I remember they held the rank of Guardsman.
Clive
Lance Sergeant