rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Henry Hook VC, address....???
Rust

Hello folks,

I have been interested in the AZW for many years now, and now, with the advent of the internet this has become even more of an interest for me.

I am English, born and bred, but now live in Norway, and have done for many years.
However, I lived in Sydenham, South London for many years, without ever knowing that Colour Sergeant Bourne Lived only a few hundred yards from where I lived, and indeed was buried in a cemetery that I passed nearly every day, and didn't know about it!
Recently, I have found out that Pvt. Henry Hook VC. also lived in Sydenham Hill! Does anyone by any chance have the actual address that he lived at please?? I believe that he lived there until his death in 1905.
Any information would be very gratefully received.

I hope to go back in the near future and visit these places and pay my respects.

Many thanks for all, and any help!

Regards,

Rust
Rusteze

Hi Rust

In his 2004 book "Hook of Rorke's Drift" Barry Johnson throws some doubt on the family story that Hook lived at Sydenham. He bases this on the absence of any evidence that he lived there and opines that it was probably too far, in those days, for a working man to commute each day to the British Museum (where Hook was employed). Following his second marriage in 1897 Hook lived in Islington and, just prior to his death in 1905, he moved back to Gloucester.

Hope this helps.

Hi Rusteze,

Many thanks for that reply. I had in fact been wondering myself about the length of time it would have taken him to reach Holborn/Bloomsbury from Sydenham at that time. With modern trains it is about 15 minutes from Sydenham Hill into Victoria Station,( I used to do it every day !), then we have the Northern Line, Piccadilly and Jubilee lines on the underground. All in all, about 40 - 45 minutes today. But in the 1880's.........? Plus what must have been a considerable cost, even by bus!! I wondered if it was in fact possible for him to have travelled that distance at the time.

Do you happen to have any Islington address for him by any chance??

Many thanks for the interesting, and informative response. Ha, yet another book I will have to hunt down!

Regards,

Rust

Rusteze

Hi Rust

The book gives two addresses for Henry Hook, 104 Hungerford Road, Holloway in 1895 (house no longer standing) and 4 Cumberland Street, Barnsbury in 1897 (now Centurion Close, but again house not standing).

Regards

Rusteze,

He married at St. Andrew's Church, which is in Barnsbury (Still standing). Which close to both the addresses that you mention.

John Y.
Phil Pearce

Pvt Hook's granddaughter used to be on this site but uncertain if she still is.
Henry Hook VC, address....???