rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
KHAMBULE - ZULU GRAVE SITE(S)
Galloglas

Does anybody know if there has ever been a serious attempt to locate Zulu burial sites on the Khambule battlefield. Out of interest can a reliable estimate of the likely numbers of Zulu dead now be arrived at.

Might there also be enough reliable information to enable some sort of sufficiently well-targeted exploratory survey to be mounted.

Is there now good enough new technology to assist with locating burial sites without needless digging. What non-invasive methods might be successful.

G
Keith Smith

G.

A number of years ago, I met a guy named Tim van den Burgh, who spent a lot of time using a metal detector on most of the AZW battle sites, including Khambule. The results of his (illegal) 'rambling' were displayed in his home in Vryheid, and a remarkable collection it was. During that visit, Tim took me to a number of sites of special interest to me, including almost everything in the Vryheid area. When I left him that year, he gave me a copy of a crude diagram of his interpretation of the camp at Kambule, according to the material he had dug up there. I would be happy to send you a copy, although there is no indication of any Zulu mass burials on it. The camp is surprisingly large, I might add.

Tim died a few years ago and his collection is now on display at the Mtonjaneni Zulu Historical Museum, next to the Mtonjaneni Lodge. It was funded, at least in part, I believe, by the owner of the latter.

KIS
Galloglas

Keith,

Thank you. I'll PM you.

G
KHAMBULE - ZULU GRAVE SITE(S)