rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
A Star is Born
peterw

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b014v51m/Regimental_Stories_The_Royal_Welsh/

See it while you can, with a great performance by Neil. Very enjoyable.

Peter
Julian whybra

Quite an enjoyable programme but, I must say, Neil's bit was by far the best television. Well done, lad!
I must say it always amuses me to hear modern squaddies talk of not being able to do what they (the 24th) did, not being able to stay and defend the place, and so on. The fact of the matter was B coy had no choice. There was nowhere else to go. No doubt they were as afraid and apprehensive in 1879 as modern soldiers are on foot patrol in Sangin in 2011.
Peter Ewart

Well done, our Neil. Can't believe he gave them only a few minutes, so there must be hours of him on the cutting room floor!

Peter
Galloglas

Could we please, here, adopt a code of practice of not referring to soldiers of the British Army as 'squaddies'.

With origins in the post WW2 period, it is the Regular soldier's disdainful description of the unworthy conscript or of any soldier showing inadequately soldierly qualities that indicated that they might only be trusted or relied upon to do something whilst 'in a squad'.

We also see it being used by those who wish to pretend familiarity and sympathy with the soldier. Usually politicians, generally James Delingpole, and often on BBC Radio 4 LW.

Its main popularity is in the Aldershot area amongst the lesser parts of the Army, who have a higher instance of the phenomenon. To a professional soldier, being described as a 'squaddy' is an insult. At least as recently as the 1990s it might invite what was politely called 'a knuckle sandwich'.

G
Alan
Site Admin

I have to admit that I am not aware of it being derogatory, more of a generic name.
If the general opinion of those with a knowledge of the Army agree, then fine, let us avoid its use.

I have to confess to being more than a little irritated by some of the PCness of late.

For a humorous interpretation:
http://www.arrse.co.uk/wiki/Squaddie

Peter
Galloglas

Delete "humorous" insert "ignorant".

ARRSE is the spiritual home of the squaddie and of squaddie-dom.

The meaning is best conveyed by the ultimate Squadron Sergeant Major insult of the 1970s:

"Sir, when I inspected your Troop on guard last night they turned out like a load of squaddies"!

G
whiteheadalfie

Going back to my distant Army days, I think I preferred "squaddie" to "pongo". For the unenlightened this was a term used by the other services to describe soldiers. "Where the Army goes the pong goes.........."

Having just lost my job at the age of 61, I considering re-enlisting!
Re: A Star is Born
Kiwi Sapper

Location: Middle Earth & Home of Narnia; (Auckland, New Zealand)
peterw wrote:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b014v51m/Regimental_Stories_The_Royal_Welsh/

See it while you can, ........................Peter

Regrettably, not able to view at all. You are probably unaware that this particular medium is only available for viewing in the UK, not off shore............Sigh Crying or Very sad .

It was a confusion of ideas between him and one of the lions he was hunting in Kenya that had caused A. B. Spottsworth to make the obituary column. He thought the lion was dead, and the lion thought it wasn't.
peterw

Regrettably, not able to view at all. You are probably unaware that this particular medium is only available for viewing in the UK, not off shore............Sigh Crying or Very sad

I've seen various references to this:
http://www.expatshield.com/

I haven't tried it and cannot endorse it but it may be of use to you.

Peter
Galloglas

But, don't expect much 'history'.

Even the Zulus were Welsh in this particular version.....or, only a third of them, anyhow.

G
Neil Aspinshaw

I feel like an oscar speech is due ..."thanks to the missus, Henry Hook, the barman in the local, Nigel Clough, and not forgetting Alexander Henry and Frederick Martini... Bill Cainan, ..and oh too many to mention.

Singed photos available for a nominal fee.

But seriously, thanks chaps.

Regs

Galloglas wrote:
But, don't expect much 'history'.

Even the Zulus were Welsh in this particular version.....or, only a third of them, anyhow.

G

I can now reveal that the real name of the commander of the Zulu impi at Isandlwana was uLlywelyn kaMahole-Williams. 'Ntshingwayo' was just a nickname.

Very Happy
Paul Bryant-Quinn

Neil Aspinshaw wrote:

Singed photos available for a nominal fee.

Neil -

Are the ones that haven't been burnt at the edges cheaper?

Wink
Peter Ewart

And as they were taken at the very moment he pulled the trigger, we finally have solid proof that the Martini does overheat ...

P.
A Star is Born