rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Peter Ewart

Paul

Yes, a very good day. And there is always the consolation that if you offer yourself as a speaker for "Brecon 2012" the curator will undoubtedly be tempting prospective lecturers with big fat fees. I still haven't spent all of mine from last year.

Incidentally, as it was a mild evening, I completed my journey from Sloane Square to Primrose Hill entirely on foot. Hyde Park in pitch blackness was an interesting experience which didn't seem to interest anyone else in London. Jogging - although inappropriately shod - past Lord's at around 11pm, I was tempted to pop in and inspect the wicket, but resisted the urge. The following day, believe it or not, I had the most fascinating discussion with a pub landlord on his boyhood experiences of enduring corporal punishment for speaking his native Welsh! You'd have been in your element.

Peter
peterw

Hyde Park in pitch blackness was an interesting experience

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked
Peter
Mel

Peter

"Hyde Park in pitch blackness was an interesting experience which didn't seem to interest anyone else in London."

I assume that's not a hint of disappointment.

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Laughing

Peter Ewart wrote:
there is always the consolation that if you offer yourself as a speaker for "Brecon 2012" the curator will undoubtedly be tempting prospective lecturers with big fat fees.

Ain't going to happen, I'm afraid: I've done all I can on the Anglo-Zulu War, and am now well and truly "outta here", as my American friends would say.

Toodle-pip!
Peter Ewart

Nonsense, Paul. You've plenty more to offer on the AZW & I'm sure there's more where that came from.

Peter & Mel: Speaking as the mere country bumpkin that I am, it seems you both know more than me about Hyde Park at night! Walking northwards, the park was in the way, the gates were open, so on I marched. Walking very briskly (honest Laughing ) I was through it in under half an hour. Regent's Park wasn't quite in the way so I skimmed around the edge, hence my little jog past HQ. Could have tried my luck in the park at Primrose Hill but I was nearly home by then so passed on that ... and I wondered why my brother said I shouldn't have done that when I told him I'd come straight through a rather dark & empty Hyde Park.

P.
Mel

Peter
Knowing, as I do, that you were full of lager and Chicken Bhuna, I have to say that that is some walk.

Paul
I second Peters comment and I must say that your after dinner (curry) conversation would be sorely missed.

If I'm following one at least of the threads here at all, I'm understanding that you had to pay for your own lunch, Paul? And Dr. Laband and Ian Knight and the rest as well? That's unconscionable Surprised ! It would have been my shout if I'd been there and you can take that to the bank!
Coll

Well, that cancels out the lecture I was going to present ! Sad

Coll
Alan
Site Admin

What would your subject have been Coll?

Alan

I've nothing prepared, but it'd have been related to what I've discussed on many occasions on the forum - perhaps too much. Rolling Eyes

I do believe the subject matter is deserving of at least an (amateur) paper/thesis, for others to ponder over, not necessarily just for forum members.

I'd never manage to give a lecture at an event anyway, but the thought of creating something worthy of presenting, would be great, though wishful thinking on my part.

You never know, maybe I'll be at a future event, if not giving a lecture (nobody would be interested anyway and would probably walk out), then as part of the audience - of course I'd have to go undercover. Cool

Coll
Harold Raugh

Hi Coll,
I am sure many of us would enjoy at least an article from you based on your proposed AZW lecture. An ideal place for publication could be in Soldiers of the Queen, the quarterly journal of the Victorian Military Society (which has its own website).
Cheers,
Harold
peterw

Coll

Give it a go - put some words down on paper, even if it's only for publication here. When preparing for the medals talk I gave in Brecon last year, there were lots of things that I thought or suspected but couldn't actually prove. The talk made me examine my thinking much more rigorously.

Peter
Coll

Harold/Peter

Thanks for the encouragement, though chances of me putting together anything worthwhile, to be considered a lecture or thesis are slim. Sad

However, I do feel the Isandlwana Aftermath is interesting enough to get something written, albeit by an amateur looking through 21st Century eyes - much like the title TMFH, it could read 'The Missing Investigation', or something along these lines.

Of course, there is also the legality of the invasion too, that could be covered in more detail.

Members on this forum would probably 'give it a miss' due to the many topics and questions I've posted on the subject over the years - C.O.I.s, Court Martials, Kangaroo Courts, Mock Trials, Military Law, Rules Of Engagement, etc. - to the point of annoyance and frustration with me, but perhaps it might appeal to those not aware of these discussions previously - or myself ! Wink

Anyway, ideas are aplenty as always - Durnford Memorial Statue, Isandlwana screenplay, etc., etc. - just need to get them progressing further than ideas.

Coll

P.S. Harold - will there be room in the second edition/reprint of your bibliography, for listing an article by an enthusiast named Coll ? Wink
peterw

Coll

It seems to me that you have the motivation, resources and time to complete such a project. The only person preventing you from undertaking it is yourself.

Whether any of us here will agree with what you write is irrelevant - and none of us are in a position to judge beforehand.

So make a start.

Peter
Harold Raugh

Hi Coll,
Of course there will be! You write it, we'll read it, and I'll ensure it is included in a second edition of the AZW bibliography.
Now the ball's in your court!
Cheers,
Harold
Zulus! Anglo-Zulu War Celebrity Speaker Day