rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Peter Ewart

Paul

Your very name is synonymous with erudition.

(Now if that doesn't wangle me a pint, well I really don't know ...)

P.
Paul Bryant-Quinn

Peter

Is there no depth to which you will stoop just to cadge a pint ... ?!

Very Happy
Bill Cainan 3

All

We now have a running order for the NAM event on Saturday 25th February:

10:30 Intro
10:40 Ian Knight - Colonel Durnford at Isandlwana: Hero or Villain?
11:20 Q&A
11:45 Bill Cainan/Paul Bryant-Quinn - Wales and the Zulu War (Joint Presentation)
12:25 Q&A
12:45 Lunch
13:45 Craig Appleton � �The Life and Times of Martin �enry�
14:25 Q&A
14:50 Katie Stossel � Nursing in the Zulu War
15:30 Q&A
15.50 Break
16:20 John Laband - The Ambivalent Zulu Use of Firearms from the Perspective of the Zulu Military Culture
17:00 Q&A
17:20 Conclusion

Bill
Peter Ewart

Well done Bill, and thanks. Looks just the job - looking forward to it. Good luck with your joint presentation with Paul.

P.
rich

Is it planned to collect the lectures in bookform for later publication?

I certainly wish I could take in the talks but since I can't I'd certainly second AMB's suggestion. I know those talks provide real fine information and knowledge. If bookform is hard to do perhaps transcipts that can be accessed? And too bad tehy couldn't have what's called 'webinars' where the discussion could be streamed on the Internet. I do these with work meetings and they work real good.

Looks like I'm the first one to report back so here goes. I was very sceptical about putting the most well-known speaker first when people might still be travelling. How wrong I was. I arrived bang-on 10.30am and the room was packed from front to back, with 200+ attending. Mostly male, mostly 60+, lots of regimental ties, quite a few couples and a few children.

Ian gave an expansive, unscripted lecture on Durnord, Hero or Villain? This was supported by a few period images and brought to life Durnford's experiences in Natal and elsewhere. The answer to the question was a bit of both.

Then we had the AZW response to Britain's Got Talent - Little & Large reborn in the shape of Bill Cainan and Paul Bryant-Quinn. This was a brilliantly scripted double act that told the story of the war through the letters and words of the "Welsh" soldier. One of the concerns of these events is that it is more of the same - Bill and Paul lifted the lid on an aspect of the war undiscovered by many.

Lunch was curtailed to less than an hour so it was off to the cafe and over the road to sit in the sun with a sandwich and ginger beer on a hot February afternoon.

The afternoon promised to go with a bang under the direction of Craig Appleton (assisted by Corporal Church) to discuss the Victorian soldier- health, height, habits and equipment. We had been promised a life firing demonstration of the Martini Henry which had been to rescheduled in the park opposite due to the fire alarms going off for real. While this was a false alarm the building had to be evacuated anyway. Corporal Crouch blazed away outside much to the delight of local children, less so for the residents as the shots really did reverberate round the square. Echoes of January 1879........

I confess that I missed the nursing talk as I wanted to see other parts of the NAM, including the War Horse display. This includes a quite fantastic barbed wire horse sculpture.

The final talk was Professor John Laband and the Zulus' ambivalence towards firearms, drawing on interviews conducted in the early part of the last century. Although many weapons were taken from Isandlwana to supplement the flintlock muskets, the Zulus did not have the culture, time, ammunition or discipline to use them effectively.

The day was rounded off in traditional style at the Coopers Arms. It is noticeable that at �3.60 a pint London pubs do not encourage binge drinking.

Congratulations to all the speakers and the NAM. Great company all round. Double congratulations to the NAM for lifting the ban on photography - I just wish that I had known in advance. Never mind, it's a reason to return.

Peter

Last edited by peterw on Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Paul Bryant-Quinn

peterw wrote:
Little & Large reborn in the shape of Bill Cainan and Paul Bryant-Quinn.

Peter - are you (somewhat ungallantly) pointing out that I need to lose weight?!

Wink
peterw

Paul

As if..........

No, merely a reflection on your stature - academic and otherwise - in the field.

As someone endowed with "nature's insulation" I am not in a position to cast stones.

Peter
Paul Bryant-Quinn

Peter -

My "stature" in this field (as you kindly put it) is somewhat to the south of a garden gnome, I fear. But it was great to see friends from this website again, as well as meeting some I hadn't met before. And the evening curry-and-pint(s) was very good too.
Bill Cainan 3

Paul

Well, if it wasn't you he was referring to, it must be me !!!

Bill
Paul Bryant-Quinn

Bill

Well it could have been worse than "Little and Large", I suppose: at least he didn't call us "The Oblivion Boys" ...

Sad
Peter Ewart

Excellent day (and evening) all round. Stimulating lectures, as expected, including the superb double act, mentioned by Peter above, by our very own RDVC reps, Bill & Paul. There was a sizeable contingent - a dozen or more? - from this forum who made it, and it was good to catch up with each other again, both in the museum and afterwards locally. Even the weather co-operated, with a warm (for February!) sunny day making the Martini demonstration in the park that much more enjoyable.

The only dampener on the day was the sudden change in the Twickenham score during the stroll between the NAM and the Cooper's Arms, but you can't have everything - unless, of course, your name's Bill or Paul.

Peter
peterw

For those who weren't there during the double act, Paul was speaking from the rostrum and could be seen. Bill was in a sedentary position so he was obscured from much of the audience. Hence the inspiration for Little and Large.

Well, I thought it was funny.........

Peter
John Young

Paul,

Given the subject matter I would suggest Ryan a Ronnie, rather than Little & Large.

John Y.
Steve Moore

Hi, brief note to agree with previous postings. An excellent day, even allowing for the second emergency evacuation from a museum in 2 days...
(IWM on Friday). Must be something we said!
Wide range of topics from speakers who know their subject so well. Beer & curry to follow, putting faces to names on the forum (and meeting up with old friends from the never to be forgotten 2002 TWE tour).
A really great day, many thanks to the organisers. Looking forward to the next one!

Regards

Steve
Zulus! Anglo-Zulu War Celebrity Speaker Day