rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Reconstituting the Bns of the 24th after Isandlwana
Galloglas

I've lost sight of the detail, but can anyone offer up a reply outlining the means by which the 24th (and principally 1st/24th) was reconstituted after losses at Isandlwana.

I vaguely recall that drafts were rapidly sent from multiple other Bns, both Line infantry and Foot Guards, on the principle that they would re-badge as 24th on arrival.

G
Martin Everett

Dear Galloglas,

Most of the information is contained in the Pay & Muster Roll (part of WO16/1574 in the National Archives at Kew) signed by Colonel Henry Fanshawe Davies, Grenadier Guards, who commanded the Main Draft that left Woolwich for South Africa on 1 March 1879 (arrived Dundee 1 May 1879). The Roll contains 549 officers, NCOs and men. There were later drafts.

The roll includes volunteers from many regiments; including Foot Guards � officers, senior ranks and privates, some of whom already serving with 24th. The Atkinson Regimental history of the 24th states that some soldiers on the draft were part-time militiamen � difficult to identify these as they would have been listed as �from 25 Brigade Depot� (i.e. Brecon - Regimental Depot of the 24th).

There are some inconsistencies � naturally � in the spelling of names, initials and regimental numbers with the published medal rolls - remember that Forsyth�s Roll and Norman Holme�s Roll (The Noble 24th) are themselves both transcriptions of the 1/24th Medal Roll.

It is clear that a large number of volunteers rejoined their original battalion and regiment when the 1/24th arrived back in England [This was part of the arrangement] (i.e. the draft roll and medal roll show same regiment) on 2 October 1879. (Atkinson states that some 700 men left the 1/24th at arrival at Gosport- this included soldiers completing their engagement). However, some did not return to their original regiment; probably for the following reasons:

(1) the original battalion/regiment was no longer in UK.
(2) the original regiment did not want the soldier back (I assume that some regiments decided to encourage the wasters to volunteer for the 1/24th).
(3) of course, there could be an error in recording the regiment on either the Pay & Muster Roll or Medal Roll (although the latter is less likely because that is where the medal was despatched to).
(4) The prospects of career advancement was better in the 24th.

For some entries the Pay & Muster Roll and Medal Roll give the former regimental/brigade number, prior to the allocation of a new 25B number.

Galloglas

Martin,

Many thanks, BZ.
The example came up in a broadening discussion on 'the Regimental System' earlier today.
Many participants were unaware of how very flexibly any such 'system' was used during the 19th C; including the many expedient mechanisms routinely used whenever reorganisations took place or there were sudden operational manning problems to solve at short notice.
Would it were still thus......

G
Reconstituting the Bns of the 24th after Isandlwana