rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
H Company 1/24th
Justin Young

Looking through 'the Noble 24th', I noted there were approx 27 men of the 1/24th noted as serving in 'H' Company at St Helena 1876-77 and I guess there is a pretty good chance most were still in this Company during the Zulu Campaign.

Apart from the odd men from other Companies (perhaps mentioned in letters etc), this is the only sizeable amount of men noted to any company. I'm curious as to where these records of the 'H' company men come from, does anyone know?

Certainly this number is only the fraction of a full Company, and of course you'd expect between 1877 and and 79, men would have left the service, transferred etc but even then 27 seems a pretty low number even with this. Confused

Justin
Martin Everett

Justin,

The Pay & Muster Rolls for the St Helena detachment (H Company 1/24th) under command of Wardell are in the National Archives at Kew - WO12/4132 and WO16/1573. They were there from 8 August 1877 to 31 August 1877. The detachment totalled 86 dropping to 70 at the end of the duty. 65 were killed at Isandlwana - I assume still serving with H Company. I have crossed checked the detachment roll with the casualty list. Norman Holme may not have recorded in his text each man who served with the detachment.

Justin Young

Thanks Martin that explains everything perfectly Smile

Justin
H Company 1/24th