rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
'ZULU' FILM POSTER BEING AUCTIONED
Galloglas

Sawubona

I'm betting that an original UK quad for ZULU is going to fetch a fair bit more than the 40-60 pound estimate that is listed. I prefer the one sheet size (27X40 in portrait format) to the quad poster (30X40 in "landscape" and I 'll hazard that most other collectors would agree, but the dimensions of either make them easy to display and therefore desirable. An American one sheet for ZULU, although to my mind more attractive than the UK one sheet, isn't near as valuable as the latter and yet I've seen the Yank version in mint or near mint condition go for almost $300. I'm guessing a UK quad could go for at least that and probably more, but I've been wrong more times than I can remember. Wink

While on the subject, one of the coolest posters for ZULU is (IMHO) the rather rare Spanish one-sheet with the "day-glo" colors! It's just too 60's! The artist (who's name escapes me at the moment)even block signed the artwork and seems to have been strongly influenced by copious controlled substances. I think that the Italian "photo-busta" cards blow the American lobby cards right out of the water and sadly the UK equivalent "front of house" cards aren't even in the contest.The fact that the Italian cards can still be had for pretty short dollars makes them even more attractive. Just my opinions...

Found one of the Spanish posters for viewing at: http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/beautiful-rare-spanish-zulu-movie-poster
Oh, Wow!
FYI: Stating that the stock that this poster is printed on is "light-weight" is even a stretch. It's almost like tissue paper, which perhaps accounts for it's rarity.
David Glynne Fox

I remember them being pasted on walls and suchlike to advertise the film in the local cinema during the 1960's. I wish now I'd followed the bill-poster around and took them down before they dried hard. Oh for hindsight!!
Regards
David