rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
"Against All Odds"
rich

I saw this UK publication here and picked it up. It appears to be the first publication in a continuing series. Perhaps some of you have seen it. It provides an overview of 3 battles which were "against all odds"...Little Big Horn, Rorke's' Drift and Oosterbeek. I was impressed with the graphics and maps which gave another way of looking at the battles especially RD. One can certainly see visually that with a bit of more Zulu coordination in the attack the entire garrison would be hard-pressed to have emerged alive from that wicked battle at Jim's place.

Hmm, It sound interesting, but upon "googling" "Against All Odds" I've learned what a common title that is. Who's the author, Rich?
baztaylor

My local W H Smith has it for 1/2 price at the moment, I think it is exclusive to them. I believe it is published by Ian Allan Books.

Cheers

Barry
rich

Saw..

Yes as Barry notes it's published by Ian Allan Books. I think you can get it at a Borders or a Barnes and Noble (periodical section) near you if you're going to the book store. It's published on good stock.

Found it! There is an interesting link at: http://forum.ianallanpublishing.com/threads/32-Military-Battlefields giving some background on the goal of the magazine by its creator, Robert Kershaw and soliciting feedback on the first issue.
rich

So Saw what did you think of it? I thought it was very well done especially the graphics. The "aerial" views of the battle at Rorke's Drift I found particularly good. Visually, it's enlightening to see what was going for both defenders and attackers through the images. And I did notice tha the publishers got help from Mr. Rattray...top notch there. Little pricey but I'd buy others when they come out because the presentation is very good.
And the Oosterbeek profile was riveting where it's noted that some British Airborne battalions lost almost 70% of their strength and were encircled.

Sadly, I haven't found it yet. Living out on the frontier as I do (New Hampshire isn't quite as cosmopolitan as Long Island yet LOL), the attrition among the brick and mortar book stores here has been harrowing. The fact is that the nearest real book store, Barnes and Noble, is several towns away and even that is living on borrowed time or so I've heard. 'Tis a sad thing, but I see the day coming when parents will bore their children by taking them to a museum and showing them a "real" book! The children will then yawn and express disbelief that people could actually once have lived like that and tried to read those primitive things. "Mommy, what is 'reading'?

I will get it though!
rich

Ah so you've noticed it too...the brick and mortar stores going into oblivion.
I had a Tower record/cd store and and Barnes and Noble near me pack up. Well that kind of leads me no alternative so I now go on the Net to hunt for music and books. So far you can save some money going on the Net to get books but I'm wondering how long that will hold up based on the economics of the business.