rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Graves of the Rorke's Drift Defenders
The Scorer

I have asked previously for help with locating the graves of the VC awardees in the Uk, and I'd like to thank everyone for the information that I have received again.

However, I'd also like to know whether there's a list available of where the remaining defenders are buried, please. I know that the former Keysham Light Horse web site had a lot of images and information, but this doesn't seem to be available now.

I know about the three graves in Newport, the three graves in Ruddington, and Colour Sergeant Bourne in London, but I don't know anything about any others. Can anyone help with the rest, please?

Thank you in advance.

Smile
Galloglas

Try this http://www.victoriacross.org.uk/vcross.htm
but you'll need to do a bit of searching and collating.

G
ANDY LEE

Hi Scorer,

There are still many gaps, however, lots of information can be found in the 'Legacy' series by Kris Wheatley - well worth checking out her research
http://www.rorkesdriftlegacy.com/

Andy

The Scorer

Thanks very much; I'll have a look as soon as I can.

Smile
paul mercer

A memorial to Rorke's Drift defender Private William Wilcox was dedicated at St Edmonds Church, Dolton near Great torrington, Devon on May 8th 2011. His actual grave is in the churchyard but is unmarked.
whiteheadalfie

If your based in Newport then there are two VC's not far away: Cpl William Allen in Monmouth and Pte. Robert Jones in the village of Peterchurch on Herefordshire.
You could, of course visit Hatch Beauchamp in Somerset to find Chard's grave (and whilst in that neck of the woods visit the graves of Pte. Henry Martin in Binegar, Somerset, Pte Thomas Daw in Wellington and Pte George Edwards in Paulton, Somerset.)

Paul
Phil Pearce

there is a rededication of 3 graves in manchester in june I think . I'm certain Kriss will let you know the details.
Alan
Site Admin

Phil,

details are in the Events section here.

http://www.rorkesdriftvc.com/events.php

Thanks very much for all your advice, and my apologies for not replying sooner.

I've been to Monmouth and Peterchurch, but not to Hatch Beauchamp. Visits to the other Somerset graves at the same time is an intertesting thought as well.

Very Happy
Graves of RD Defenders
whiteheadalfie

Scorer
Have you visited the grave of Samuel Pitt who is buried at the Church of St. David, Bettws, Newport? More intriguingly, have you ever tried to locate the grave of Thomas Collins who spent the last seven years of his life in an asylum in Newport and was buried in its grounds? One must assume the cemetery still exists even if the asylum does not.
Re: Graves of RD Defenders
The Scorer

whiteheadalfie wrote:
Scorer
Have you visited the grave of Samuel Pitt who is buried at the Church of St. David, Bettws, Newport? More intriguingly, have you ever tried to locate the grave of Thomas Collins who spent the last seven years of his life in an asylum in Newport and was buried in its grounds? One must assume the cemetery still exists even if the asylum does not.

That's a "No" to both, as I wasn't aware of either, to my shame! I'll have to have a look for the former and see what i can find out about the latter as soon as I can - thank you.

Smile
whiteheadalfie

James W. Bancroft's book "The Rorke's Drift Men" gives the location of Samuel Pitt's grave as: row 3, plot 29a if that helps at all.

Paul
The Scorer

whiteheadalfie wrote:
James W. Bancroft's book "The Rorke's Drift Men" gives the location of Samuel Pitt's grave as: row 3, plot 29a if that helps at all. Paul

Thank you, it does.

Smile
whiteheadalfie

Using Bancroft's book I have put together a list of those graves in the London area. I would be more than willing to send this to you via a PM if you're interested.

Paul
The Scorer

whiteheadalfie wrote:
Using Bancroft's book I have put together a list of those graves in the London area. I would be more than willing to send this to you via a PM if you're interested. Paul

Yes, please, I would like a copy - thank you.

Smile
Graves of the Rorke's Drift Defenders