rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Sheldon Hall

I quote from the online article, "Exhibition Spears the ZULU Myths about Rorke's Drift":
�At the time the film was made, apartheid was at its height in South Africa, where it was filmed. The Government didn�t want the black extras to be paid the same as the white ones, so Baker had to find a way round that. For example, he introduced a cattle stampede scene and then gave the cattle to the Zulus. There were no cattle in Rorke�s at the time of the battle. He also filmed it around 150 miles away from the mission station, because the sweeping mountains looked better."
It's our good friend Bill Cainan speaking, who ought to have known better! Introducing a cattle stampede just so the Zulus could be given the cattle?! Who on earth would come up with such a scheme, and how could they have got it past the Paramount accountants? And if the Zulus lived 150 miles away, as they did, how could they have got the cattle home? On the roofracks of the chartered coaches?
I've said it before and I'll say it again: the SA government stipulated that the Zulus be paid �4 per week each (10 shillings more than the film company had budgeted for), which they duly were. The cattle were returned after filming to their owners, from whom they had been hired. No wristwatches changed hands (as it were), either. Who will spear the myths of the museum curator?!
Bill Cainan 3

Hi Sheldon

I'd actually heard the story of the cattle from Lady Baker and had no reason to doubt it at the time. However, I will of course bow to your superior knowledge of the film history.

With apologies

Bill
Sheldon Hall

I thought that might have been the source... but good luck in the new appointment! I hope to visit the Museum at some point - if not this weekend, then when the exhibition is on.
Bill Cainan 3

Hi Sheldon

I look forward to seeing you at Brecon. It's a pity you won't be able to make Saturday - I was at Cardiff Castle yesterday and Henry (Coleman) was setting up the exhibition - it looked really great.

All the best

Bill
John Young

Bill,

If you're there on Saturday, can you make sure there's some Single Malt on hand for your Zulu visitor?

John Y.
Bill Cainan 3

John

A good point.

I'm there from lunchtime on Saturday, so I'll speak to Christopher Dale, the Museum Director.

All the best

Bill
John Young

Bill,

Thanks for that, I would have brought him down myself, but it clashes with the Agincourt rematch!

All the best,

John Y.
Bill Cainan 3

John

I've just heard from Christopher that the Prince can't now make the opening on the Saturday, but we do have a plan for the single malt !

Bill
Mark Hobson

Once again, congrats on gaining what is to many a 'dream job'. Now that you've gone public, I can tell the rest of the gang!

Hope to see you at the lecture in April.

Mark Hobson
Colin Fielding

Thanks to Bill Cainan for all his help on Saturday at Cardiff Castle, lugging heavy items about associated with our descendants display. It was greatly appreciated.
Best regards, Col. F.
Bill Cainan 3

Colin

It was my pleasure.

And, thank you for the "thanks". It's particularly nice to get a positive mention on the site, especially after the recent mis-quote on the khaki tunics !!!!!!!!!!!

Looking forward to seeing you at Brecon.

All the best

Bill
Zulu Exhibition opening photos
filmmaker

I have posted a few pictures from the Zulu exhibition opening on Flickr -

http://www.flickr.com/photos/58193649@N03/

If anyone else has photos from Cardiff Castle last weekend, please email them to me to be included.

Thanks to all who attended, VIP's, guests, uniformed soldiers and all museum staff who helped out.

Special thanks go to Christopher Dale, Bill Cainan.

The exhibition is now open until the 26th June.

Henry

www.zulufilmstore.com
Sheldon Hall

Looks like a great display - sorry I couldn't be there for the opening event. Hope it all went well, as I'm sure it did.
The Scorer

I visited on Tuesday afternoon.

I thought that it was very good, so well done and thanks to everyone involved.

Smile
Sawubona

Thanks for the photos of the exhibit! Seeing them is the next best thing to being there. I'm curious to know anything anyone can tell me about the unusual poster in the middle background of the image titled "Zulu Film Cabinet" on page two -- the poster with the foreign service helmet with the "24" on it. I don't believe I've ever seen that one before.
New 'Zulu' Exhibition at Cardiff Castle