rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Tent area at Isandlwana
Mel

Does anyone have a sketch/drawing showing an accurate depiction of the camp area at Isandlwana? I would like to overlay the depicted area onto a modern view from Google Earth. I am trying to determine an accurate (if possible) distance from the tents to the rising ground of the Mpofane donga. Unfortunately, Crealock's sketches exaggerate the features of the ground.

Mel

Some years ago I was given a copy of a hand drawn and painted schematic of Isandlwana Camp by John Churchill Simpson. It shows most of the features of the camp on the morning of 22 January 1879 but, being a diagram, it lacks a scale. It is, however, a quite lovely picture, about 60cm by 45cm. It was done in 1998, so I cannot say if any copies are now available, or from where they might be obtained.

KIS
Galloglas

You might try the fold-out map included in "Narrative of the Field Operations connected with the Zulu War of 1879".

The Naval and Military Press have recently reproduced it in paperback in an inexpensive facsimilie version. See their website.

The layout of the camp, and various detail to do with Vedettes and Picquets have been superimposed upon Captain Anstey's November 1879 field survey, though not necessarily by Anstey himself.

The detail added that supposedly indicates the position of the individual rifle companies of the 24th appears decisive and confirmatory but is fairly unlikely to be an accurate portrayal due to the improbability of all of the indicated position being occupied simultaneously. However, that will no doubt be debated according to viewpoint and need.

That said, the camp detail is probably more indicative than the other tactical detail.

G
diagralex

Keith

John Simpson died very shortly after the print became available and I believe the print had a very restricted issue. I do have one of prints and have never seen another one since the day I purchased it.

Alec
Keith Smith

Alec

Thanks for the information on Simpson. I will appreciate the item more knowing that is virtually irreplaceable.

KIS
Peter Quantrill

Jack Simpson, painter of renown and architect, was a close friend of both RL and self.
Indeed the Simpson family looked after us when we first arrived in RSA.
In 1997, we commisioned Jack to paint the camp site as we perceived the layout to be on the morning of 22 Jan.
We spent two delightful days with the late Jack and his late charming wife Kay at Isandlwana. Jack took numerous photos and started the painting when we got back to Kloof. Many hours were subsequently spent together researching the camp layout together with tent details obtained from a contemporary War Office publication.
It is possible, Keith, that you obtained a copy from us in one our several meetings at Kloof? The painting in fact was completed in 1997, but Jack dated it 1998. It was the first joint venture that Ron & I undertook.
The original painting hangs in my study and we ran off a limited number of prints. We have never tried to effectively market the prints, but a few are still with us and available.
peterw

John Simpson died very shortly after the print became available and I believe the print had a very restricted issue. I do have one of prints and have never seen another one since the day I purchased it.

Alec

I think you mean Graham.................

Peter
Keith Smith

Peter Q

Although I didn't want to identify my source for the print in my original post, I must acknowledge that it was a gift from Ron Lock on perhaps my second meeting with him in Durban. I have treasured it ever since.

KIS
diagralex

Thanks Peter - getting old is a terrible thing. It's the forgetting who you are which worried me.

Graham
Mel

Thanks for the replies.
G,
I had forgotten about the map in the Field Operations book.

Peter Q,
I will contact you re purchasing a print of the John Simpson painting.

Mel,

Whilst very much part of the modern Zulu War collectables scene this print is interestingly impressionistic but is unfortunate in its lack of realism and precision.

There are also clashes in style between the slightly 'primitive' and jarring painting style and the unsympatheitic choice of modern lettering styles to designate the named areas of the camp, viewed from the East and treated as if fully occupied.

Though printed on robust art paper the colour tones were generally a bit flat on the one I first saw in South Africa several years ago.

So, let it queue up behind your higher spending priorities I would suggest, at least until you have seen one close up and can satisfy yourself that you really do want to buy one. Only relative rarity might boost its eventual asking price. I have not felt the urge.

G
Tent area at Isandlwana