rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Captain William Barton
diagralex

I am trying to find out the route Captain William Barton of the Sikhali Horse took, when he escaped from Isandlwana.

He was just behind Private S. Wassall when Wassall saved Private Westwood from drowning in the river. Indeed he was part of the procedure of awarding Wassall his Victoria Cross, when he submitted a report on what he had seen take place. Wassal later wrote that he rode as hard as he could, with a few of the fugitives from Isandlwana. Was Captain Barton one of these fugitives ?

Elements of the Sikhali horse were firing across the river to cover the retreat of the fugitives under the command of C. Raw. Did Captain Barton realise this and possibly rejoin what may have been men of his
command ?
Major Spalding reported seeing Basutos riding away from the river - Could Captain Barton have been amongst them ?

Other possibilities are that he rode alone to Helpmekaar or rode directly to his home town.

I have been unable to find any diary for Barton or a written report concerning his movements. Many survivors reports cross index each others movements but Barton is not mentioned once across the river. Does anyone have anything which may confirm his subsequent movements ?

Graham
Keith Smith

Graham

Your question is most interesting. Of all the survivors of Isandlwana, William Barton is the most elusive. I wrote a paper some years ago on the confusion between William and Geoffry Barton, and which of them was at Isandlwana. I found little about him after his statement supporting Wassall's VC. It seems that he stayed with Sikhali's Horse near the Upper Thukela until his six months' service expired on 20 May 1879, after which he returned to his previous obscurity and, 'unlike a number of others, did not pander to public demand for his version of the disaster'.

KIS
diagralex

Keith

It was re-reading your paper which rekindled my interest in William Barton.

Most of the survivor's reports lead to Helpmekaar and many involve other names which cross links them. Barton just disappears once across the river - I can't even speculate that he did go to Helpmekaar as no written evidence seems to exists which confirms or denies the matter.

The other officers of the mounted contingent all ended up there so I suspect that Barton did also but that is as far as it goes.

Anyone else have any evidence ?

Graham
Julian whybra

To help you I'm quoting from my own work
Julian

33. Captain William BARTON Natal Native Horse, o/c �Sikali� Squadron (Troops 1-3)

Reported remarks are quoted in:
(A) Norris-Newman;
(B) Durnford, Edward;
(C) Two incidents involving Barton related in the account of Lieut. Erskine N.N.C.
(D) A fragment of a letter from him is quoted by �Another Lieutenant-colonel� in The Standard, 10th March 1879.
(E) An anonymous officer�s letter published in The Times Weekly Edition, 30th May 1879.
(F) A statement, dated 11th February, 1879, in the National Archives relating to the submission for a Victoria Cross for Pte. Wassall 80th, I.M.I. (11).
Barton�s r�le in the N.N.H. has been the subject of much discussion but lies in General Order N. 205, dated 23.11.1878, Times of Natal 17.11.1878: �The Mounted Contingent will consist of squadrons�A commandant will be appointed to two or more squadrons when together, with pay at 30s per diem and forage for three horses.�
Mentioned in the account of Lieut. Erskine N.N.C.
In flight met Ptes. Westwood (10) and Wassall (11) both 80th, I.M.I..
Escaped via Fugitives� Drift to Helpmekaar.
diagralex

Julian

I have used your work extensively in my research and the survivers reports usually cross reference each other and many mention other survivers being at Helpmekaar. Captain W. Barton is mentioned up to the river but seems to disappear once across. It is strange that no surviver who stayed at Helpmekaar mentions seeing him there or even passing through.

I have found your remarks about where the survivers escaped to, completely accurate in every case, but I remain puzzled that Barton lacks recognition by any of the others. Even being Native Horse, he must have been known at least to some of the other colonial officers, or possibly even some of the Imperial officers.

Do you have any evidence which may confirm his probable destination of Helpmekaar ?

Regards Graham
Julian whybra

I'll start to check my own sources. He was NOT listed on the official list of survivors posted at Helpmekaar on the 24th but then neither is Westwood. My feeling is that Barton went by way of Helpmekaar and rode on to warn the next settlements. I'll get back to you.
Captain William Barton