rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
OBITUARY DAVID GLYNN FOX
Robin

David passed away on Christmas Eve.

A memorial service is tgo be held at Fort Nottingham on Wednesday 5th January 2011

Hamba Kahle
Alan
Site Admin

My sympathies to his family.

Ye Gods. That's a shocker. I met David several times but had not been in touch for a number of years. I had no idea he was ill.

I'll raise a glass to him tonight in the hope that he is soaring with the birds he loved. He sold a medal to me that he used to help fund his purchase of a Golden Eagle.

RIP David.

Fort Nottingham is in South Africa. Is a UK service planned?

Peter
Neil Aspinshaw

Peter I am pleased to report this isn't David Glynn Fox from Nottingham England, but sad as I heard alot about the DGF from the lectures in 2009 in KZN.

Site Admin

David Fox was raised in Zululand and his family farmed close to the Nyezane and Gingindlovu Battlefields. He (like many of us in KwaZulu-Natal) grew up to know and respect the Zulu people and learnt about the Anglo-Zulu War from a Zulu perspective from them. He methodically demolished several �new� notions about the Anglo-Zulu War by writing authoritatively to counter them.

He owned Fort Nottingham � a military post established by the British in 1856 to counter the San raids on white-owned farms and he lived in one of the original buildings. His passion for KwaZulu-Natal history is reflected in several articles that he wrote in highly respected publications such as the South African Military History Journal.

In 2005, David organised a ceremony to coincide with the 150th anniversary of the establishment of the Fort and arranged for the British Defence Adviser, Brigadier David Keenan, to end the undeclared �war� by shaking hands with the last surviving member of the mountain San community, Mr Kerrick Ntusi. David published �The History of Fort Nottingham, 1856 to 2005� to coincide with this event. I�ve attached a couple of photographs of the ceremony. Photo 44 shows David (on the extreme left), Brig Keenan and Kerrick Ntusi.

The success of the ceremony has been followed by the holding of the annual Fort Nottingham Highland Gathering, which has become one of the �must do� events of the KwaZulu-Natal Midlands.

David Glynn Fox with the straw hat

A relief for one side of the AZW fraternity and mourning for the other.

A toast from across the water to the friends and family of David Fox of KZN. Sounds like he was quite a fellow.

Peter
Robin

The final sentence from
The History of Fort Nottingham 1856 to 2005 by David Fox

Nunc est bibendum.

Cheers David
David Glynne Fox

Hi to all. Thank you all for your concern re my state of health but happy to report, as Neil Aspinshaw so kindly stated, that I am alive and well. A bit of a shocker to read one's obituary though I must say.

Thanks also to Peter Weedon who alerted me to this thread and so sad to learn that my namesake in KwaZulu Natal has passed away. My sincere condolences to his family.

I am still researching the Zulu War every bit as previously, although as Peter has stated, my Golden Eagles have taken up a lot of time lately. I have purchased all the latest books on the Zulu War and still continue to add to my small collection of memorabilia.
May I take this opportunity to wish Alan, Neil and Peter and all on the RDVC site and all Zulu enthusiasts everywhere, a Happy New Year.
Kindest regards
Dr. David Glynne Fox