rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
The Times
whiteheadalfie

Hi Forum

Just a note to draw your collective attentions to a piece in today's Times (page 1Cool about the Royal British Legion's plans to honour Cpl Scheiss. I notice they're still working on 139 as the number of defenders but most other facts seem correct. There is also an invitation to view reports on RD from the Times archives at www.thetimes.co.uk/archive

Regards

paul whitehead
The times
whiteheadalfie

Don't know how that smiley got there - it should read page 18

P.W.
Martin Everett

The 24th Regiment will be represented at the ceremony in Geneva. On more personal note - I would very much like to see this VC in Geneva as it was actually awarded to a Swiss citizen. That might provoke discussion - as the NAM only hold it by default. A touch of Elgin Marbles

Galloglas

In broad terms, the VC medal should have been returned to the Army Medal Office after Schiess's death at sea.

Technically, in the strictly formal sense, they are not supposed to be items of disposable property where the purpose of disposal is financial gain.

Switzerland, as a poltical entity and sovereign state would have no lien on this VC.

G
Galloglas

Though different contemporary language was used, the QRs of those days embodied the principal still carried forward today - except where the Warrant for a particular award might state otherwise.

Namely, that:

"It will be for the regimental or corps headquarters of the deceased to contact the legal beneficiary of the medals once they have been received from the MOD Medal Office where they will have been mounted and placed in a presentation box before dispatch. It is the responsibility of the regimental or corps headquarters to make arrangements in accordance with the wishes of the deceased's family for suitable presentation of themedals. The recipient must be the legal beneficiary and no one else. The alternative will, of course, remain of sending the medal on by post should the beneficiary prefer this."

However, in the absence of a designated legal beneficiary, there was not discretion allowing for one to be assumed or designated on an ad hoc basis. So, the medal would be retained in the interim by the Medal Office. I can only assume that the NAM has it on loan.
Happy to be wrong, if somebody else knows the answer better.
G
Peter Ewart

Saw the original piece in The Times but was surprised to see it representing the research as new, as there was nothing in the report about Schiess's privations, illness or death which was at all new - even the exact spot of his burial at sea is known. However, I'd put this down to enthusiastic reporting rather than any claims on behalf of the chap seeking to raise his profile in Switzerland.

The "Thunderer" is not a patch on what it was, that's for sure. Presumably, if he'd tried to get home via the Swiss Navy instead of ours, the VC might be residing in Switzerland to this day?

P.
Martin Everett

Cpl Scheiss died at sea being brought to England by the Royal Navy. The VC was found in a bureau in the old War Office building and passed to the NAM. It is my view that times have moved on.

Galloglas

Indeed they have. So, back to the MOD Medal Office then...........

Unless a cuckoo clock is to be offered in part exchange?

G
Galloglas

Just in case anybody was wondering:

http://www.crwflags.com/fotw/flags/ch-sea.html

G
Julian whybra

The times should also have written Schiess not Scheiss. One letter different I know but the world of difference in that language.
Keith Smith

Julian

What a very interesting point you raise! Since I am unable to call up the archive using the link above, I have been unable to see the offending spelling. However, my interest is based on the 'double s' in the word 'Scheiss' since these occurrences are usually replaced by a 'scharfes S' or the character �. I therefore immediately fled to Wikipedia, which gave me the following gem. Had I known this to be the case, I would never have questioned your spelling!

"The German esszett ligature (also called the scharfes s (sharp s)), � evolved from the ligature "long s over round s" or, in Fraktur, "long s and z". Even though "long s" ſ has otherwise disappeared from German orthography, � is still considered a ligature, and is replaced by 'SS' in capitalized spelling and in alphabetic ordering. � is only used in Germany and Austria, never in Switzerland."

My emphasis!

KIS
Paul Bryant-Quinn

And of course, the unfortunate inversion of the two vowels turns his name into something less than complimentary ...

Embarassed
Galloglas

Das ist aber Schiess.
Stimmt!

G
Julian whybra

Genau!
The Times