rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Le Mat Revolver
Denton Van Zan

Sawubona

If I'm correct, it was with yourself that I was discussing this firearm a while ago.

I've seen this, which appears to be an updated version, or variant model, which I like the style of very much -

http://www.genitron.com/Unique/Le-Mat-Revolver.jpg

It differs quite a bit from the usual image you see from the ACW.

Are you familiar with this model ?

C.J.
Sawubona

I'm probably no more familiar with it than you, Coll, but it certainly looks like an awfully "no-nonsense" sidearm. I've had the fortune to handle a LeMat, but don't own nor have even fired one. Where did you come across this image?
Denton Van Zan

Sawubona

Nice isn't it ?

I just punched in Le Mat Revolver on Google Images, where the site itself the image belongs, the link goes on forever.

However, if you click on the thumbnail, it gives details and one or two more images of its mechanism.

I've found it also in my reference book, on page 70 -

The Illustrated Encyclopedia Of Handguns.
by A.B. Zhuk.

'Le Mat; Girard & Fils, Paris. .44 and .65; nine-plus-one shots. This was produced on the basis of the cap-locks patented in the United States by Jean Francois Alexandre Le Mat in 1856-9. Patents protecting the centre-fire version were granted in 1868-9. Fed by a revolving cylinder, the upper barrel is rifled; it is accompanied by a single-shot smooth-bore barrel doubling as a cylinder axis. The firing pin on the hammer could be set to fire either barrel. Cap-lock Le Mats were made in the United States, Belgium and Britain; the later centre-fire guns were made in France or Belgium.'

C.J.
snider volley

wished somebody would make these afresh I would buy one
Edward

Dixie Gun Works carries a beautiful working repro of the LaMat revolver. Not the model pictured above but of the type more commonly used by the Confederates during the ACW.

http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_92_187_189&products_id=3496

Dixies lemat revolvers are cap and ball and the picture in question is of a cartridge version.
I used two dixie cap and balls as base for my carbines.
Edward

I believe that the LeMat pictured at the beginning of this thread is a pinfire version of the revolver. Addressing the question in regards to replica - I do not believe that anyone is currently manufacturing replica pinfire revolvers of any sort. The National Rifle Association's National Firearms Museum's website has a very similar pinfire LeMat in its collection:

http://www.nramuseum.org/the-museum/the-galleries/a-nation-asunder/case-39-civil-war-imported-arms/lemat-pinfire-revolver.aspx

Snider Volley: Nice work on the carbine!