rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Numbers at Rorke's Drift
Simon

Hi,

Just out of interest what is the consensus of the numbers of antagonists (on both sides) at Rorke�s Drift?

Obviously the Zulu one can be at best �a best guess� but the figure of 4000 was/is always bandied around. Did all the Zulus who marched on Rorke�s Drift get there or did a number wander off to destroy kraals etc around the area?

On the British side � 139 is the general number quoted but I have read that is could be into the 150�s.

Cheers

Simon
John Young

Simon,

I think you'll find 139 was proved to be incorrect several years ago. Despite that the same old number still appears in more recent publications.

John Y.
Keith Smith

In case Julian Whybra is not able to respond, his excellent England's Sons, my copy of which may be out of date, shows the defenders as 154, with a further two possibles from B Company, the 2/24th.

KIS
Simon

Cheers Keith,

I'll look out for Sons of England.

Simon
Julian whybra

Actually I'm now up to 155 present plus a possible 3 more. England's Sons is available from Martin at the Museum.
a.j

Let's say someone was doing a presentation on the defence of Rorke's Drift what would be a definite number of defenders to state?
Peter Ewart

a.j.

155-158! England's Sons supersedes all previous calculations - from whichever source. The 139 figure, still mentioned here and there as JY points out, has long been out of date. The 155 can all be named - and quite a few others have been eliminated.

I was still thinking 152-154, but that's because my edition of ES (always a work in progress) is not the latest. Time for me to update, I suppose! So the answer (today) is 155 with absolute certainty, with possibly up to three more - and it is not impossible that even that may change, but not below 155.

Peter
Numbers at Rorke's Drift