rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Brecon meeting 2011
Mel

Coll has stated on another thread that he would be prepared to save his taxi fare to travel to attend a talk by Mike McCabe. Having met Mike at the NAM I must say that so would I. Now that's got me thinking. I'm wondering if we're all missing a trick here.

Those who attended the NAM a few weeks ago all said how much they enjoyed it and we all look forward to the next event which, unfortunately, may not be until 2012. However. it occurs to me that we don't necessarily have to wait for an organised event by others. Why not stage one ourselves? There is more than enough expertise amongst the forum to provide various individual talks and/or group discussions on a wide range of topics. We could invite the "traders" with their stalls and the re enactment groups.

Of course, the best venue to use would be the RRW museum at Brecon.
I'm wondering if Martin could advise on this? This would be done on a non profit basis with proceeds to go to the museum of course.

Anyone any thoughts?

I would be happy to attend an event in Brecon. I offer nothing but enthusiasm and a desire to renew my relationship with Felinfoel and Brains.

Peter
Paul Bryant-Quinn

Peterw

I seem to remember an advert campaign here in Wales which suggested that those who really know their beer have Brains ...

However, I also liked this one:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/fixeche/3636317158/

... I wish I could work out how to upload images ... <sigh>
peterw

SA was known as "Skull Attack" when I were a lad....

Probably still is, but my capacity to consume is pitiful these days.

Another sigh.

Peter
The Scorer

peterw wrote:
SA was known as "Skull Attack" when I were a lad....

Probably still is, but my capacity to consume is pitiful these days.

Another sigh.

Peter

Yes, SA (real name: "Samuel Arthur", after the original S A Brain) was and is known as "Skull Attack". It affected the top half of the body, unlike the Brains Dark (RD - real name: "Red Dragon"), which had a drastic affect on the other end, hence it's nickname of "R***** Destroyer" ... the asterisks have been inserted to avoid any offense, but I'm sure you can work out what I mean!

Very Happy
Coll

Kinda veered off the topic's path pronto quicko. Confused

Mel

Interesting idea, but one requiring a great deal of time and organising, which I'm not sure many members would be able to participate in, due to other commitments.

It'd definitely take more than one person to accomplish, but with no guarantee of success.

If you are willing to take on the task, then I wish you luck.

However, I think it'd be better to try and convince the museum(s) to hold a Zulu War event every year, whilst considering any new additions suggested by members.

Coll
Mel

Coll,

Not sure how you know about other members committments.

The point I'm making is that with the amount of expertise on this forum we don't have to depend on the availability of "celebrity panelists". We could organise enough "entertainment" (if they are up for it) between members such as JY, Julian, Peter E, Neil, Adrian, Bill, Rai, and, hopefully, Mike Snook, etc. Maybe some of our contributors from across the pond would be able to make it.
Mike McCabe has already contacted me with some positive ideas. Thanks for that Mike.
Coll, you would certainly be welcome to talk about your hero and perhaps even stage your COI?

What better venue could there be than the Museum? I was hoping Martin would have some input and ideas as he organised a very successful weekend a few years ago at the Museum when Rob Caskie talked about Isandlwana.

This is just an idea triggered from your remark on the other thread. Of course organisation would be needed but if there was enough of us interested then success would be guaranteed.
And I haven't even mentioned the Sat evening curry, drink(s) and live(ly) get together in a Brecon pub. Smile

Oh, no....!!!

"Capacity to consume is pitiful these days..." That is a worse affliction than piles, or incontinence!!

In a country where you have immeasurably better beer (er...not everywhere, mind) than, say rugby players, this is a death sentence...

Chin up, old top....*there's always Coke Light, you know...??

Hoohaa....!!

Dundee
KZN
"Where Past and Present comes together..."
Peter Ewart

Mel

Very good idea. With adequate notice of date, suitable venue, good publicity and a sense of commitment, the issues involved with the organisation of such an event should hardly be insurmountable, whether at Brecon or elsewhere.

Julian did suggest a similar (residential I think) event a few years back which lacked sufficient support, but I wouldn't think that means the suggestion shouldn't be tried - and amended as required - again.

Peter
Coll

Mel

Yes. I do understand the concept, but as Peter mentions, a lot has to do with the amount of support.

That said, I've been thinking if you could ask the likes of Keith Smith, Peter Q., Ron L., etc., who can't get to the event, to write a few pages on Zulu War subjects, which can be e-mailed to you/someone, to be read out by 'speakers'.

Others, if not being able to attend, could also be asked, therefore making the list almost endless, using various 'speakers' on their behalf.

Peter E.

How's about your good self, as I reckon you'd be able to present such written materials in a clear, concise voice on the stage/platform ?

Coll
Dewi Evans

Mel

I think it's a great idea.

Dewi.
AMB

Mel,

Great idea. I will await further with interest.

AMB
Julian whybra

Although this is an excellent idea and one which I'm up for, it is a long way to go for one day and may be expensive or not worth the crazy journeys for those who live in the far north, or deep south, or far-flung east. How would a weekend sound (regulars may recall I tried doing this once before)?
I organize educational residential courses on a regular basis and know of a good venue in the Midlands near Northampton (not a military museum, though there is a small rural one on site) where a Friday evening to Sunday evening could be had with all meals/refreshments for under �100 - there's even a village pub within a hundred yards.
Thoughts?
Paul Bryant-Quinn

I'm up for that. Especially if there's a pub within a hundred yards.
Alan
Site Admin

50 yards would be better.