rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Simon Rosbottom

Just a suggestion for next time, how about having the panel located in one of the alcoves in the middle and have the audience fanned out on either side. At least everyone would be closer.

Could we light them up too, they were a little hard to see from the back... must be my age creeping up on me. 43 btw.

Peter W.,

But would you not have preferred to hear a debate on the lines of 'Isandlwana - whose disaster?' Rather than hear about carbines and rayon uniforms in Zulu Dawn? I for one would have.

A point I liked to have come in on was when Dr. Pollard extolled the virtues of the Culloden Visitors Centre, and I agree with him it is unique in showing both sides of the path which led to the Jacobite Uprising of 1745 and final battle at Culloden in 1746. Could such a museum be helpful say at Isandlwana? I would answer yes it would, but is it affordable and sustainable given the location of the battlefield, to which my answer would be a resounding no.

John Y.
peterw

John

Your reference to an Isandlwana visitor centre illustrates my point. The film(s) provide accessibility to the subject which, due to the location and expense of visiting, is beyond many people/families.

This was a new venture for the NAM and I suppose - Jon can correct me - it wanted to appeal to as wide an audience as possible. The estimated size of the audience would have had a bearing on the ticket price.

I don't think the discussion of the film took up too much time. And if the film, rather than the books, helps to involve the next generation, so be it.

Peter
Damian

Without the movie Zulu it is a moot point as to whether the AZW would be remembered much in 2010.
So we should give credit where it is due.
sillymajor

Peterw

Nail on the head, when the idea was first mentioned we were told that there would be minor interest, the AZW were now irrelevant to our audience, early Afghan Campaigns would have been better to go for etc So we decided to prove some people wrong, and I hope we have been vindicated.

Out of the 140 tickets sold only a quarter were concession rate eg Seniors (over 60's), this suprised us a little but shows that followers of the AZW are not just 'old men' and from what I saw of of the audience it was pretty diverse age wise. Surely this is a good sign for future studies?

For us to run a series of AZW discussions we needed to put bums on seats for the first one, there is no reason why we cannot look at more academic aspects in the future but the NAM as an institution needs to appeal to all, be it if you purchase a Saul David book or one by Prof John Laband. We will just need to find the right balance. Personally I believe that the panel and content was spot on, and I can only thank Ian for helping organise the evening, without him it may not have been possible.

Once again thank you for all your kind comments and support, these are being noted and we hope to learn from them for any future discussions.

Best
Jon
rich

Jon...

Just wanted to mention that with that audience you attracted you have the potential opportunity to perhaps understand and explore historical interest among that group. For those 140, obviously something attracted them to the discussion at the NAM. I think their opinions on the event are important both for AZW history and for attendance at museum. It might be good to know what they thought. You just may learn a couple of things. From acorns grow big oaks!

I've never been to any events, but it appears, from information read elsewhere, that tables tend to be set up with books, etc., related to the event, for audience members to browse through and buy.

May I suggest, although I must admit on a personal interest, that perhaps new items, be made available, in this case - poster-size (3'x2')photos/prints of individual main participants, suitable for framing, which I think would be hugely popular, with myself seeking such images of Durnford and Vereker, from their most well-known portraits in the 'South African Campaign' by MacKinnon & Shadbolt ?

I apologise if this is not an additional aspect normally associated with events.

Coll
Mark Hobson

As a slight aside, and something that just occurred to me as a strange little coincidence...

140 people attended the discussion, approximately identical to the number of defenders at Rorke's Drift!

It strikes me that although this was a superb turnout for what was a superb event, sitting amongst the audience makes you realize just what a tiny number of men Chard and Bromhead had to hold back 3,500 Zulus.
Bill Cainan1

All

I've been away a week and have just caught up with the various reviews and comments of the AZW discussion event held at the NAM a weerk ago.

I would like to echo all the positive remarks - it was without doubt the AZW event of the year ? The 140 or so who attended must have represented the hard core of AZW enthusiasts in this country, with very few "absentees". The panel was well balanced and the whole event was conducted in a dignified and gentlemanly manner. Well done to the NAM - surely we don't have to wait two years for the next one ? !!!!

It was one of those events that you wished could have gone or for a couple more hours, as I'm sure there were a lot more questions that didn't get put because of a lack of time.

Next time, what about each of the panel giving a 45 talk in the afternoon on a controversial topic (based on questions from this forum ?) and then getting together as a panel for the Q&A session in the evening ?

It was really good to put faces to the names that appear regularly on this site.

Marvellous stuff.

Bill

Can I echo John Young's remarks. A more focused debate on Isandhlwana would certainly provoke a more lively 'Question Time-like' debate involving the audience.
P.S. Bill - sorry I didn't get to say hi - you always seemed to be at the centre of a huge crowd and I never got close enough!
AZW Discussion Event at National Army Museum - Any questions