rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Mark Hobson

I agree with all the great comments above, the whole day was splendid. The Discussion Panel especially, with some great debates between the distinguished VIP's and some excellent questions from the floor. It was also a chance to catch up with some old friends.

I decided to miss out the trip to the Cooper's Arms. I only arrived in London at 1pm and reached the NAM at 2pm, and myself and two of my mates wanted to take a look around the museum. Great displays as usual, and a lovely warm evening for walking back to the hotel later.

My Britains figure was of a private holding his Martini-Henry jogging forward, so I guess we didn't all get the same ones.
Jamie

I managed to get to the pub at 3:30ish after catching the tube from Heathrow. I had a quick beer at the Coopers and didn't see much action so I assumed the troops had gone to the NAM already.

I was the one in a jeans, sports jacket and pinkshirt underneath.

Had a great morning on the 747 simulator beforehand. Two "exeptional landings" at Heathrow and JFK......according to the pilot...... Very Happy

John it was nice of Richard Walker of WBritain to honor your request to provide the figure and your posting of his H.R.H. Prince Shange holding the mounted figure of his Great- Grandfater Prince Dabulamanzi and his request thanking WB for the figure. Seems you've acquired a figure of WB 24th Foot are any other planned for the future. Smile Smile By the way any comments on The Rorke's Drift Diorama that was shown at the event. Wish I had been in a postion to join you all over the weekend.....The Lt.
Coll

Excellent news that all went well.

I'd have been easy to recognise, if I was there in the pub, being the Scotsman sitting at a table on his own, mumbling something to himself about why no-one was talking to him.

My accent might have given me away, as RDVC member Coll.

Any chance of putting some names to the faces in the photo ?

Coll
peterw

Next time, we will exchange mobile numbers in advance.

Why didn't we think of that before? Embarassed

Peter
Simon Rosbottom

Then my assumption of "nothing upstairs" is quite apt. D'oh. I did look out of the back but there was a small and unappealing alleyway they euphemistically called their "Mediterrenean Garden."

John..Thanks for the heads up on the transcript. I hope to get one. Hope NAM keeps us posted.

Well from the looks of the pix where everybody is happily downing their pints I can see that indubitably Anglo-Zulu War history also looks to being in very very capable hands for the next couple of years ... Wink

I had hoped to get to the Cooper's too but was unfortunately delayed in the King's Road (where I fought a most valiant rearguard action in defence of my credit card despite the repeated and most determined assaults upon it by my other half that went on until late in the afternoon). Consequently, I was too late for the pub and therefore beat an orderly retreat back to the museum. Even though not a regular contributor to this Forum, I was sorry to have missed the opportunity to put some faces to names. (To be honest, I had earlier thought it might be fun to walk into the pub and declare my presence by delivering, in 'Green-esque' fashion, a loud "STAAAAAND TO!". As I understand it, you were all upstairs anyway so I'm so glad now I didn't do that in front of the wedding party! Laughing)

Anyway, to the event itself. I, too, thought it went really well. In particular, I felt the panel was very nicely balanced and well chaired. I liked the discussion type format of the first session - at times, almost as though one was eavesdropping on a private conversation between a group of enthusiasts - I guess we were. I did overhear some murmurings later that people at the back had found it difficult to hear and also that the panel were poorly lit. Fortunately I was sat in the second row so had little difficulty but even so, I confess there were times when the microphones appeared to 'drop off' and even I had to strain to hear. It seemed to me that the microphones were placed too far from the Panel members so perhaps this is something NAM could consider for future events?

As for content, I particularly enjoyed listening to the Panel's views on the VCs and the tourism debate in the first session. My only thought was that perhaps a little less discussion on the merits - or otherwise - of the two films might have then allowed more time for questions in the Q & A session after the break. As it was, we had 90 minutes discussion and 60 minutes Q & A. Personally, I thought it should have been the other way round but that in no way detracts from what was a thoroughly enjoyable evening. May I add my thanks and congratulations to all those involved.

H

ps. My figure was standing firing ('toy soldier' type rather than the new matt but nice to have all the same).
Peter Ewart

Haydn

Although I was in the front row I did wonder at times if the panel could be heard properly further back. The doubt expressed right at the beginning was never really dealt with. The microphones were in a fixed position in front of the two tables, but if the tables were just moved forward six inches to the edge of the dais, and the panel then asked to move their chairs forward also, their mouths would have been that much nearer the mikes. It seemed so obvious to me and I nearly suggested it (or even got up and did it!) and now wish I did.

I agree, too, on your notes about the format. The effect of the films on the public received a lot of time in the debate, but I suppose (a) this was part of the agenda advertised and (b) although we have discussed all this ad infinitum on the forum, it may have been new to many of the audience. Your suggestion, too, that the question time could have been given more time than the initial discussion is a good one I think. They appeared to have a whole sheaf of questions on the table, but after just two of these (I think) they went to the audience for the remainder, although I doubt if more than half a dozen were taken in all.

All in all, I suspect (if this doesn't sound too condescending) that those in the audience who are not members of this forum learnt much more than those who are, but then they were undoubtedly in the majority, so was not at all unfair. I imagine the NAM was delighted, given the size of the audience (anyone count?) and all the additional sales in books etc they would have made.

Peter
sillymajor

Dear all

First of all on behalf of the NAM I would like to thank all from RDVC who attended the AZW Event at the NAM on Saturday.

For our first attempt at an event of this format we are pretty pleased with how it turned out, your comments have been valuable as we continue to evaluate the evening, so believe me all have been taken on board, digested and will be learn't from.

I sat at the back and only on the odd occasion did I find it hard to hear the panel. In future we now know how best to position microphones and tables and what lighting requirements are required!

Format wise we still think the Q&A worked over one hour, to be honest we could have kept going all evening due to how engaging and interesting the questions were! but again we take this on board and realise it may well need tweaking in the future. Start time may also be earlier as we were aware that some of the audience and panel members had quite far to go to get to homes, hotels or pubs.

We would be keen to host this event again providing we can provide a panel of the same class and quality and that we are certain that there is public interest. 140 seemingly happy souls leaving on Saturday evening tells me interest may not be a problem!! 2012 looks like the best bet so fingers crossed.

Conclusion from us is that we are happy considering it was our first time, happy to tweak it sound, lights, format and more then happy to host event again,

Once again thank you all those that attended and have left comments, we can only host events like Saturday night if tickets are sold so thank you so much for supporting us.

Oh, did anybody from RDVC win the signed Isandlwana print?

Best
Jon
Haydn Jones

Peter

Yes, it seemed to me too that a simple repositioning of tables and chairs would have resolved the microphone problem. Wish I had said something too now.

Jon

Good to hear that NAM would consider hosting such an event again if circumstances permit. I for one would be glad to see it start a little earlier - not so much because of the travelling - but more because it would mean my spending less time in the King's Road defending my credit card from the other half! (PINned like a rat in a hole, I was!). Laughing

I believe you have discussion panels coming up on other topics so I hope those go as equally well. My thanks again to NAM and all concerned.

H
Mark Hobson

I thought my mate had won the Isandlwana print. When I looked under his chair I saw a large sticker attached to the underside. After much whooping and hollering and chairs flying I peeled it off only to find it was a price sticker with a barcode on!
John Young

Jon,

In my opinion lapel microphones might have helped, there were people near me struggling to hear.

One request, please steer clear of anything to do with Zulu & Zulu Dawn, some of us have matured beyond them.

John Y.
Mel

Jon,
As JY put it, some of us have, indeed, "matured". Shocked
You met us, you saw the grey hair and the zimmer frames. 2012? Most of ain't going to make it. Please consider a Zulu event next year. Laughing

One request, please steer clear of anything to do with Zulu & Zulu Dawn, some of us have matured beyond them.

Sorry John, I disagree. The films are the door through which many (including me) entered the more serious study of the war. I think they still have a role, albeit a minor one, to play.

Peter
AZW Discussion Event at National Army Museum - Any questions