rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
GlennWade

Morning everyone,

I have visited this site at the very least once a week since I was 13. I am 21 next month and in my final year as BA History Student.

I too ask Alan, on behalf of those younger members who browse and are maybe too shy to contribute, to reconsider. I fully understand his position, however, and can only hope for the best. I rarely have the time to contribute to lengthy topics but I like to help those with simple requests when I can.

I will be entirely sad to see this forum die.

Best to all,

Glenn

Peter
Please contact me if you need any help in any way.

Site Admin

Thanks all of you.

We're going to see what happens over the next month, and I will put some ideas on the forum about ways we can "spread the load".

I'm hoping we can get more of you involved in the admin of the site (primarily the forum), which whilst not a big deal, take an amount of time per week, and to keep it fresh, needs to happen little and often.

I remember you joining us all those years ago Glenn, so I'm as attached to the site as you. Smile

Peter
rich

As I noted in another post, I was away when "stuff" happened. Technically, my current post should go in a previous conspicuous thread but that's now locked due to a "dust-up". I just want to thank Rusteze and Peter for giving me the heads up on Isandhlwana pix before 1879. Peter has thrown down the gauntlet believing there are none prior to 1879 (at least that's what I gathered). Now if I only had some time and an airline ticket I'd pounce on Rusteze's suggestion of the Killie Campbell "book depository" for those pictures! Hey "you never know" about those pix...... just like Lord Chelmsford's mind set on a fateful day in January 1879.

Rich,

No need to jump on an aeroplane, check some of the photographic collection of the Killie Campbell Museum at http://campbell.ukzn.ac.za

All you have to do is register.

John Y.
rich

heh heh Thanks very much John for the heads up! Well really deep down I want an excuse to travel to SA you know? Well one day, one day soon...the memsahib and I will make a day of it..it will be done as the sun comes up. Wink .....

I am a comparative "new boy" to both the forum and the subject, and I can't claim any great knowledge of the AZW.

However, due to a long standing love of "Zulu", I have come to learn quite a bit about the subject, and the majority of it is down to this forum. I'm lucky enough to know personally one regular contributor (Col. Mike) and have met one other (Martin) once, but I feel that I do know "in spirit" quite a lot of you, and I've enjoyed reading about the subjects that have been raised and debated.

So, I would ask that the forum continue, please, as it does provide a lot of enjoyment for everyone, even if we don't always agree!

Smile
Julian whybra

The rdvc forum is an excellent resource for information gathering and sharing. To those of us researching the field it is fair to say it is indispensable. It enables people to keep at the forefront of their subject without having to attend a conference. I wonder if Peter and Alan are aware of the extent to which the forum has exceeded its boundaries? For example, I normally get at least a dozen emails a month from forum members or visitors with queries on things I've posted; I've met several people face-to-face from the forum which has resulted in what I hope will be lasting friendships; and I'm often asked to provide talks and copies of articles for bodies/groups who've looked at the forum for that purpose. All as a result of this website.
So, please re-think! The whole set-up is invaluable. It goes without saying, I hope, but any support I can provide at a personal level I would be willing to do so.
Michael Boyle

Alan

I'm sorry, though not surprised, that our most recent foray into 'over-enthusiastic' opinion exchanges has dis-heartened you. Moving house is stressful enough. However I as well hope that "this too shall pass". I would be more than willing to assist you in any capacity available to me. RDVC does matter.

To my fellow forum members I would just like to say that although we do live in a society that seems to have e(de)volved into an "in your face", "us or them" competitive environment that doesn't mean we can't maintain this small corner of the world with anachronistic 'officer and a gentleman' behaviour. We're not text messaging here, we have all the time in the world to compose replies, so let us take advantage of that time and allow any heated responses to dissipate prior to posting.

[It's either that or reserve a sporting venue for a cage match. Marquess of Queensbury Rules of course!]

Best

Michael
Is This The End?