rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Private George Power
Mark Hobson

Was looking though my Zulu War paperwork and came across an interesting little newspaper interview conducted some time in the 1930's (I think) with a defender of Rorke's Drift. Thought I'd share it with everyone as it expresses just how tough and dogged the men at RD were, even later in life. I don't think it appears in Lee Stephenson's RORKE'S DRIFT: BY THOSE WHO WERE THERE - but please correct me if I'm wrong.

Just out of interest, does Private Power appear on any of the Rorke's Drift rolls, and if so, which one?

I've had to omit certain parts which are indecipherable, but here's the interview as it appeared. I've left the original spellings.

OLD SOLDIER SHOWS HIS MEDALS.
2s. 4d. A DAY PENSION FOR A RORKE'S DRIFT HERO.
"NO COMPLAINTS."
EXPERIENCE THAT MADE A GENERAL'S HAIR WHITE.

Blind, paralysed, and bed-ridden, an old soldier who fought in one of the most famous defences in British military history is ........ a week.

He is Mr George Power of Hill Crescent, Ilford. When a ...... member of the heroic garrison at Rorke's Drift which, during the Zulu War, defied the ceaseless onslaughts of Cetewayo's troops, fresh from their victory at Isandhlwana.

Now 79 years of age, he lives on an Army pension of 2s. 4d a day, plus his old age pension.

When I called on him to-day (writes a "Star" reporter) I found him to be a fine specimen of the English soldier, with his handshake still powerful despite the affliction which keeps him lying all day on his back.

His one joy in life is showing his medals. He keeps them locked in a black tin box which none but he must open.

His constant companion and helper is his daughter Helena. When his blind fingers groped and could not find the lock to his medal box, she offered to open it for him.

"No, my dear, I must open it myself," he protested.
"Bill" (as his daughter calls him), "will not let anyone assist in showing his medals," said Miss Power.

One by one he handed them to me - the Khedive Star, the South African Medal, the Queen's Medal with bar, testifying to many years spent under scorching suns.

"I enlisted when I was 18, under a false name, so that my father should not trace me," he said. "In January, 1879, I landed in South Africa with the 2/24th Regiment. We marched straight away out in the direction of Rorke's Drift, knocking out several native chiefs on the way, and burying them.

"On arrival at Rorke's Drift, B Company, which was mine, was detailed to garrison the post and maintain the provision supply of the column which was marching into Zululand under Lord Chemsford.

"One morning I was standing outside the post baking little loaves in a field kitchen. Suddenly a few stragglers limped past our sentries with the news that half Lord Chelmsford's column had been destroyed at Isandhlwana.

"Our meagre defences were quickly thrown into as good a state as possible, and at 2 o'clock the Zulus attacked from across the Buffalo River. They were as thick as grass, outnumbering us by thirty to one. For twelve hours a rifle scarcely left my hand. They gave us pepper.

"For a minute or two we stopped to bandage a wounded comrade, or to give him a drink of water, then back to our loopholes. Our rifles got so hot with the constant firing that the barrels bacame bent, and the rifles useless.

"I was stationed in the store-room, and several times a few of the Zulus forced their way inside. They did not live long. And when they got on our mealie bags we soon put 'em off.

"The Zulus did everything except the one thing that might have carried Rorke's Drift. They did not think of ripping up our mealie bags with their assegais.

"When dawn came - the most dreadful dawn a soldier ever saw - we were still leaning against our loopholes, grimly determined to make the best use of the few rounds of ammunition that were left.

"Fortunately, Lord Chelmsford relieved us with the other half of his column. His hair had gone white in a night."

Private Power was a member of the party sent out to recover the body of the Prince Imperial, who was surprised and killed by Zulus while sketching.

He saw service at Bloemfontein, Kimberley, Bechuanaland, Basutoland and Egypt.

He bears his present circumstances with quiet fortitude, and, like a soldier who is asked, "Any complaints?" he answers, "No complaints, sir."

[b]
The sheer guts these men showed never ceases to amaze me, both in battle and in old age. Fascinating.
peterw

I think that this is one for Julian. Enlisting under a false name makes identification difficult. A quick scan of my books reveals that a "large force" was dispatched to recover the Prince Imperial's body so no help there either.

Thanks for making the effort to transcribe.

Peter
Martin Everett

The Khadive's Star was normally issued to those who qualified for the Egypt Medal. Only a handful of soldiers of the 24th saw later service in Eqypt.

I suspect that 'George Power' was a replacement who came out in March 1879 - posted to 2/24th at Rorke's Drift just before 2nd invasion - involved in the recovery of the body of the Prince Imperial. Returned to he orginal regiment at the end of AZW. Saw service in Egypt. Emigrated to South Africa and served with a local unit in ABW. My guess.

Perhaps, someone could write a book with the title 'Rorke's Drift: Those Who were not there on 22/23 January 1879'. To say you were there does ensure you make the headlines.

Mark Hobson

Further to the above - I've been reliably informed by a colleague that PT. POWER enlisted under his mothers maiden name of DEACON, his christian name was George.

George Deacon of course is a name well known by all as having fought at Rorke's Drift. Spent part of the battle fighting alongside Fred Hitch.

Mark Hobson
Julian whybra

Deacon was indeed George Power - see 5th edition England's Sons.
Martin Everett

What threw me was the other medals - who did serve with in Egypt and during ABW.

peterw

This may be of interest - I don't know who purchased the medal.

The Rorke�s Drift award to Private George Deacon, 2/24th Foot, who deserted shortly afterwards and did not claim his medal until after the Great War

South Africa 1877-79, 1 clasp, 1877-8-9 (1467 Pte. G. Deacon, 2/24 Foot) an officially impressed later issue claimed in 1920, some engraved graffiti after the impressed naming has been mostly erased but appears to read �Rorke�s Drift�, otherwise nearly extremely fine �3000-4000

Footnote
George Deacon (alias George D. Power) was born at Bank, Hampshire, and attested for 25 Brigade at Chatham on 10 November 1877, aged 18 or 19 years. Posted to the 2nd Battalion, 24th Foot, he went immediately to South Africa. He was confined in cells from 12th to 18th March 1878. At the defence of Rorke�s Drift he served in �B� Company, and is mentioned in an account by Private Frederick Hitch, V.C., who incorrectly names him as �Deakin�. It is towards the end of the action, after Hitch had been wounded and Lieutenant Bromhead was carefully rationing the ammunition which was then running very low:

�Deakin, a comrade, said to me as I was leaning back against the biscuit boxes, �Fred, when it comes to the last shall I shoot you? I declined. �No, they have very nearly done for me and they can finish me right out when it comes to the last.� I don�t remember much after that.�

George Deacon was clearly in the thick of the fighting right to the last. His presence is further confirmed on the Chard and Bourne rolls. Unfortunately he was again confined to cells from 11th to 24th February 1879, for failing to obey an order, and eventually deserted at Pietermaritzburg on 9 September 1879. As a deserter he was not issued with a medal and the rolls are marked as such. However, he obviously made a claim for a medal sometime after the Great War and this was approved, according to the following annotation on the medal roll: �Roll searched 6/1/1920, authority 19/Inf/239 and 2177.�

George Deacon, now in his early sixties, finally got his medal for his part in the defence of Rorke�s Drift over 40 years earlier. He may have been a bad boy in the eyes of the army but to his comrades at Rorke�s Drift he would have been as much a hero as any of them.

http://www.dnw.co.uk/medals/auctionarchive/searchcataloguearchive/itemdetail.lasso?itemid=42774

Peter
Martin Everett

Peter

It seems that he only had one medal?

Re: Private George Power
ciscokid

Mark Hobson wrote:

Our rifles got so hot with the constant firing that the barrels bacame bent, and the rifles useless.

"Fortunately, Lord Chelmsford relieved us with the other half of his column. His hair had gone white in a night."

So was it common for the MH to get so hot the barrel bent?

Did Chelmsford hair really turn white overnight?
peterw

Martin

It seems that he only had one medal?

Not necessarily. DNW may not have bothered to research his later career as they had no additional medals to sell with his SAGS. And his involvement in subsequent campaigns was unlikely to surpass his achievements in South Africa.

Peter
Kris

Hi Gents,

I'm not well versed on the dates of all of Queen Victoria's little wars, but I can give you a few dates with regard to George Deacon Power. In 1884 he had his own busines in London as a Provisions Merchant, he was married in November of that year and shortly after that he gave up his business to join the police force.

In 1887 the couple had twin daughters, in 1888 a son, in 1890 a son, in 1892 a son and finally in 1895 the last child, another son. By the time George retired from the police force he was a Chief Inspector of Police.

If he had time to fight in any of those other campaigns I'd love to hear about it.

Cheers
Kris
Julian whybra

Sounds to me as though he had time, after deserting, to re-enlist under another assumed name to take part in the 1882-4 shindigs in Egypt. sounds like a promising short story or piece of research for Coll to get his teeth into.
Coll

Julian

Definitely something for someone to 'follow up'.

Coll
George Power/Deacon
Peter Jacobs

Gents - I have just joined this forum and note the entries from last year and before. I wonder if anyone out there is still interested in George Power/Deacon. Regards, Peter
Private George Power