rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
sillymajor

Dear All

Apologies for the delay, so far we can confirm that the panel consists of the following

Ian Knight
John Laband
Mike Snook
Sheldon Hall

We are just waiting on one more confirmation, as soon as we have that i will let you guys know.

I hope this helps so far and more to follow!

All the best
Jon
sillymajor

Right, last name added to the panel is Tony Pollard. This is depending on filming commitments but Tony is confident is is able to attend.

I hope the panel meets your expectations, we are now working on format for the evening etc which should be agreed on within the next week or so. At the moment the panel may well discuss a topic, possibly the disneyification of the AZW for the first half, short break then Q&A where any topic can be covered in the second half. This has not been confirmed yet and may well change.

Best
Jon
peterw

Jon

I've just reread this thread and checked on the prices. I think that �15 is very good value.

What is the capacity of the venue and the approximate timings? I had assumed that being a Saturday this would be a day event but am slightly thrown by your reference to evening.

Peter
Peter Ewart

Peter

The link originally shown in this thread gave a 5.30 start with the evening lasting approx 2/3 hours. This may not provide much time for those coming in from the sticks (of whom I suppose there'll be plenty) to get together afterwards for a chinwag, a noggin & perhaps a bite, before keeping an eye on the clock for one of the last trains.

As the NAM times are no doubt fixed, I suggest a rendezvous somewhere beforehand, as AMB has suggested - as well as afterwards.

Peter
peterw

Peter

You are quite right. Stupid me for not paying attention. The NAM must have run enough similar events to know the optimum time to host something like this.

A meet up beforehand sounds good if it can be combined with a pint - or two - of Fullers.

Peter
sillymajor

Dear Peter & Peter

The AZW Panel Discussion is basically piggy backing onto the NAM's 'Into Africa' Event Weekend, throughout the day there will be a number of activities taking place at the museum with reference to the British Army involvement in Africa throughout the years, these day activities are still to be confirmed but may consist of storytelling, interpretors, Zulu dancing, art workshops etc. These activities will be replicated on Sunday during the day are aimed at a family audience. We felt an AZW discussion for a more adult audience will give us a better balance of event content.

We have booked this for Saturday evening due to the fact that all suitable rooms are being used for the day event, apologies to all that may need to travel from afar but we hope (if that is the correct expression!) to be finished by 2100 hours

I am all talking to colleagues regarding the best way to record the event be it audio or visual or both so will keep you guys in the loop.

Please do not hesitate to contact me should you require further information. Our new 'What's On' is due to be printed in January 2010 along with all our other events, conferences, lectures etc for next year. All this content will also be available online in the not to distant future.

Best
Jon
sillymajor

Sorry Peter, the capacity for the room is 250, for those of you are that have been to the NAM we are planning to host the event in our Art Gallery.

J
peterw

Jon

Thanks for the details. I've booked my ticket for collection on the day.

Come on everyone - a lot effort will go into this event so sign up now to help the NAM.

Peter
Peter Ewart

See you there, Peter!

P.
Jamie

Hope to see you there also!

Jon,

Was Dr Ed Yorke from RMA Sandhurst avail to be added to the panel?

AMB
sillymajor

Dear AMB

I believe Dr Ed Yorke was on the shortlist but the NAM will possibly be approaching him for san entirely different event in 2010.

Jon
AMB

Jon,

Many thanks. I'll look fwd to Ed appears at the NAM in due course.

AMB
peterw

Many thanks. I'll look fwd to Ed appears at the NAM in due course

AMB

Are you in a hurry? fwd?

Being an old stick in the mud, can I make a plea for members to use clear, comprehensible English? We have many visitors to this site, and English may not be their first language.

Thanks

Peter

P
AMB

Peter,

Apologies!

Fwd = forward, as in; I look forward, to look ahead with anticipation.

AMB
Zulu War Panel Discussion