rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Alekudemus

This was found in Bedwellty near Pontypool. I have a fair idea of the identity of it though!

Coll

Thanks for supplying such detailed information.

Very interesting.

Coll
Alekudemus

Cheers Coll. Always willing to promote the good side of metal detecting. Every hobby has rogue elements as well. We call them "Nighthawkers" and they are basically thieves who plunder sites. All information that could have been gleaned from the artefact is lost and it invariably ends up on Ebay or sold to a private collector. You may have seen my post of the reports that this was taking place on battlefields in South Africa.

Being of a military background and still active within the sphere I take great interest in any finds I make and try my hardest to work out what they are. That is why it suddenly dawned on me that this site has a wealth of knowledgeable people who may be able to identify the odd find and put it in its historical context. I was right as well! Cheers all. Many thanks. And I still hope to find a 24th Foot relic in a South Wales field one day.
Alekudemus

By the way...I forgot to mention that the unidentified cap badge was found in a field....in......Brecon

I hope one day to find something I can donate to Martin.
Help With Cap Badges