rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Zulu Hero - Honour For Scots Boy
Coll

Newspaper article today -

'A Scots boy who became a hero in Africa is to be honoured next month.'

'John - real name Charles Rawden Maclean - was born in Fraserburgh, Aberdeenshire, but is largely unknown in his homeland.'

'A plaque is to mark his grave, 129 years after his death.'

This is interesting.

Anyone know of this previously ?

Thanks.

Coll
Jamie

I live in Aberdeenshire and am unaware of this!!

Jamie

Jamie

Apparently, Nathaniel Isaacs couldn't remember the boy's real name and used the name John Ross instead, when talking of his experiences at Port Natal.

The boy was shipwrecked off the Zululand coast and settled at Port Natal.

He was one of the first white people to meet Shaka.

He is buried in Southampton Old Cemetery, where the ceremony will take place at his graveside on Saturday May 2nd.

The city's mayor will unveil the plague.

Coll
Coll

Further to the above.

There is a book mentioned called 'The Natal Papers Of John Ross'

Coll
Peter Ewart

Coll

I think you'll find the John Ross story is one of South Africa's enduring legends and will certainly be alluded to in most works dealing with Natal's or Zululand's early history.

In fact, you'll probably find many accounts of the story in your own library. If you have Morris's The Washing of the Spears or Ritter's Shaka Zulu, for example. The more detailed (and original?) account is found in Nathaniel Isaacs, Travels & Adventure in Eastern Africa (1836 but reprinted several times). As you say, Isaacs (who came from Canterbury, incidentally) didn't mention the Maclean surname. Some of the many other works in which the story is found are Stephen Taylor, Shaka's Children - A History of the Zulu People; Duminy & Guest, Natal & Zululand from Earliest Times until 1910; Louis du Buisson, The White Man Cometh and plenty of others. Presumably in Gardiner's Zoolu Country as well, but as it isn't indexed I won't check now.

Do you have David Rattray's tapes/CDs? I'm sure it's somewhere in there on the first of his DotDM stories. ("John Ross, they called him ..." D.R.)

I'll have to do what I can to see if I can get a plaque to Isaacs in Canterbury!

Peter
Coll

Peter

Thanks.

Yes. I was aware of the name, in TWOTS (I think) but didn't realise he was regarded so highly.

The newspaper also shows a photograph of his statue in Durban.

Fraserburgh Heritage Society helped organise the new memorial (plaque).

Coll
Haydn Jones

Coll

My apologies, a change in my personal circumstances over the past few months has resulted in my being "off the radar" for a while and I am only just catching up with the Forum's posts when I came across this one.

Just a bit more background information for you. A new memorial stone will indeed be unveiled tomorrow, 2 May, on the hitherto unmarked grave of Charles Rawden Maclean, better known as "John Ross". The initiative behind the new stone came from the Fraserburgh Heritage Society and the Friends of Old Southampton Cemetery, supported by Ian Knight who assisted with the fund raising.

Peter is right in his post above. The John Ross story is alluded to in various works. It was also the subject of an SABC childrens TV series many years ago which ran to about 8 (or 10?) half hour episodes. Quite charming - and featured a nice Lt. King, a not so nice Nathanial Isaacs and
a rather heroic "Jacob"! Moreover, I have to say the Zulu costumes and panoramic views of Zululand in the series were magnificent - akin to "Shaka Zulu". As for more modern times, I believe I am right in saying too that there is at least a highway and bridge named after "John Ross" in SA.

It is a great story of old Zululand and I feel fortunate - nay, privileged - to have been invited to attend the ceremony tomorrow. If you are interested, I will report back on the ceremony/stone/inscription etc and maybe try and post a photograph.

H

PS. Incidentally, did you ever sort your "Zulu Dawn" stills out (because I might still be able to help you out if you contact me by private message at my new email address)? Once again, my apologies if you have tried to contact me over the past few months but not had a reply.
Sawubona

Some of the details of the later life of Charles Rawden Maclean after he left Natal in 1823 might be of interest as well. I was told that he pursued a career in shipping in the Caribbean, where he was a vocal abolitionist and employed freed slaves to crew his vessels. Throughout his later life, he sung the praises of Shaka's generosity and trustworthiness in contrast to the self-serving accounts told by the other early settlers of Natal.

Sadly, his business failed in later years and he returned to England penniless and in broken health. Dying at sea on the 13th August of 1880, his body was interred in a paupers grave three days later. Curiously, the day of his burial was also that on which the Prince Imperial's Mother, the Empress Eugenie, passed through Southhampton on her way to report to Queen Victoria of the success of her mission to Zululand . It's seems sadly ironic that two people, one a destitute pauper being buried in an unmarked grave and one the late Empress of Imperial France, would each have a very personal interest in the rolling hills of faraway Zululand.

One can only conjecture what Ross' feelings were about the AZW and the policies of his government towards the Zulu in general.

Last edited by Sawubona on Sat May 02, 2009 12:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Coll

Haydn

Thanks for the details.

Perhaps such information and images could be included in the Pot Pourri section ?

I obtained some stills of 'Zulu Dawn' and with the release of the much improved 'Zulu Dawn' dvd, I'm happy with them.

Thanks for offering again. Wink

Coll
Haydn Jones

Coll

I'll attempt to post some images as you suggest but just quickly to let you know on this thread that the day went well.

The dignitaries - including a kilted Fraserburgh representative - Sea Cadets and the assembled throng (50 approx) were led by a lone piper to the grave which was draped with the flags of Scotland and South Africa. A few words and readings by various parties and a minute's silence before the Mayor of Southampton unveiled the stone. The inscription reads;

Charles Rawden Maclean

"John Ross"

1815 - 1880

Seafarer

Born Fraserburgh Scotland

Friend to King Shaka Zulu

Opponent of Slavery

Afterwards, the good volunteers of the Friends of Southampton Old Cemetery put on a small reception at which Ian Knight said a few words which were received with interest. He had with him some artifacts collected during his extensive travels through Zululand (shield, assegai etc) which proved popular with the younger elements so maybe, just maybe, one or two youngsters have had their imagination caught by the Zulu?

I sort of echo Sawubona above, one can only conjecture what "John Ross" would have made of it all, particularly when all this has coincided with the election of a Zulu as President of South Africa. Whatever, please be assured all those involved did "the boy" proud yesterday.

This might also be of interest;

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/Scotland/glasgow_and_west/8029402.stm

H
Sawubona

Haydn, thanks for that link. I believe I'd actually enjoy watching that mini-series, but sadly I don't think it's ever been offered here in The States. Was the name of it "John Ross" or was there something else? Was it a BBC production?
Coll

Haydn

Thankyou very much ! Very Happy

Excellent details and link to the news item.

Coll
AMB

Coll,

The Natal Papers of 'John Ross' is an interesting read. Whilst some parts are thought to be fairly circumspect when it comes to the truth [albeit, it is years since I read my copy, so I couldn�t tell you which are the doubtful parts!], the book still well worth adding to your library.

AMB
Haydn Jones

Sawubona

The full title of the series - an SABC production, not BBC, was "John Ross - An African Adventure". You may have gathered that the clips featured in the above link were from that very series. The part of John Ross was played by a lad called Darryl Robertson while that of "Jacob" was played by Ken Gampu - who, incidentally, was the guy with a physique much like mine Rolling Eyes - who played the envoy in "Zulu Dawn".

H
Haydn Jones

Another link that might be of interest. (Photo from left to right, Ian Knight, Fraserburgh rep, SA Embassy rep and the Mayor of Southampton.)
http://www.witness.co.za/index.php?showcontent&global[_id]=22657

H
Zulu Hero - Honour For Scots Boy