rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Geneva to honour Swiss Victoria Cross hero
ANDY LEE

Geneva to honour Swiss Victoria Cross hero

Much has been written about the Anglo-Zulu Battle of Rorke's Drift, yet few people know that one of the 11 Victoria Crosses awarded for bravery went to a Swiss.
Over 100 years later, the heroic story of Christian Ferdinand Schiess is due to be retold next year at the Museum of the Swiss Abroad at the Ch�teau de Penthes in Geneva.On January 22, 1879 at Rorke's Drift on the Natal border with Zululand in South Africa a tiny British garrison of 140 men - many of them sick and wounded - fought for 12 hours to repel waves of attacks by an army of 4,000 Zulu warriors. The epic battle followed the crushing defeat of a British force at the hands of the Zulus at nearby Isandlwana.

This valiant defence of the garrison was rewarded by Queen Victoria's government with no fewer than 11 Victoria Cross medals, and was later immortalised in the 1964 film Zulu, starring Stanley Baker and Michael Caine.

One of the VC recipients was Corporal Schiess � a Swiss from canton Bern.

"He was the first non-British [soldier] and only Swiss to receive the award and he was completely unknown � it's a great story," Anselm Zurfluh, the director of the Museum of the Swiss Abroad, told swissinfo.

While there are many gaps in his life story, what is clear is that Schiess was born on April 7, 1856 in Burgdorf, canton Bern, although his place of origin was Herisau, the largest town in canton Appenzell-Outer Rhodes.

"His father was Niklaus Schiess, a stone-cutter known as 'Bernese Schiess'," said Alistair Massie, an expert from the National Army Museum in London.

It is unclear whether he was then brought up in an orphanage or later whether, at the age of 15, he served for the French in Algeria, said Massie.

Allegiance to Britain
In 1877 Schiess sailed from Hamburg, Germany, to South Africa and pledged his allegiance to the British, who were then beginning their colonisation of Africa. He was appointed corporal in the 2nd Battalion of the Natal Native Contingent, a large force of black auxiliary soldiers who helped defend the British colony of Natal.

In January 1879, at the start of the bloody Anglo-Zulu war, Schiess was carried to the field hospital at the army supply depot at Rorke's Drift with a bad foot infection caused by marching across the veldt wearing ill-fitting army boots.

On January 22, as defenders fought off wave after wave of Zulu attacks and despite his injury, Schiess carried several wounded to the hospital, and later as the Zulus breached the lines of defence, he helped dislodge and kill the attacking warriors.

"In the Zulu film you see him hobbling out of the infirmary on his crutches, throwing them away, bayoneting a few Zulus and killing one who was wounding British troops," explained Jeffrey Long, a member of the Royal British Legion who uncovered the little-known story of Schiess and his VC while researching the story of Rorke's Drift.

Schiess received the VC a year later at a special parade in Pietermaritzburg on February 3, 1880.

"The VC was delayed as they didn't realise he was a European. They thought he was part of the Native Contingent," said Long.

Despite the recognition, after leaving the army Schiess failed to find work and four years later he was found on the streets of Cape Town suffering from exposure and malnutrition.

"He wrote to the Commonwealth Office in England and applied to work on the railways and in the prison service, but they turned him down," said Long.

The Royal Navy offered him free passage to England, which he accepted, but he became ill during the voyage and died on board ship on December 14, 1884 aged 28, and still with his VC.

Exhibition
Schiess was buried at sea off the coast of Angola, but his VC, which was still in his possession when he died, ended up travelling on to England.

"It went to the War Office where it ended up in a drawer and was forgotten about. It was only found when the old office furniture was being cleared out in the 1950s," said Long.

The original medal is now on display at the National Army Museum in London, but Long and Zurfluh have made a high-quality replica to feature in a major exhibition on the Swiss hero next April.

"We'll have a uniform, rifle, bayonet, documents on Schiess and the Zulus, and spears," said Long.

"But there are still many gaps in this story. Perhaps somewhere, someone will have some record of him or his family or background."

swissinfo, Simon Bradley

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Galloglas

Though I'm simply unaware of the detail of exactly how Cpl Schiess's VC was found it is very easy to understand how it might indeed have been at the rear of a desk drawer.

As recently as the 1980s, the remains of the original furniture of the War Department in Pall Mall and the Old War Office Building in Whitehall had either remained in place in the latter or had migrated via various re-organisations to parts of such buildings as Northumberland House.

The very large knee hole 'Partner' desks of the mid/late 19thC had very long drawers, originally designed so as to enable folded papers or maps in large imperial paper sizes to be temporarily stowed in the desks during the day, rather than be secured in their filing cabinets, cupboards or map presses which they would have been at the day's end. On two separate rummages several years apart I found an old white five pound note, a broken spur, a Yeomanry capbadge, and what appeared to be some WW1 vintage condoms in a small tin.

I also recall reading somewhere (I forget) that a manuscript document covering the original 'Chelmsford' inquiry after the Isandlwana battle had aso been found that way as the Old War Office Building was being occupied before WW1 by its first incumbents.
HARMAN

Andy there is some interesting information on Schiess on the old forum including photo' of his VC.
You might already have seen it but just in case.
http://www.rorkesdriftvc.com/VC/schiess.htm
ANDY LEE

Thanks Peter

Colin Fielding

Is there an actual date set yet for the exhibition ?
HARMAN

I googled (Geneva to honour Swiss Victoria Cross hero) it appears its going to take place but there is no reference to date as yet. Question
plymouth
beachcomber

andy
nice to have meet you at plymouth
good hunting
beachcomber
Hawkwind

My girlfriend recieves a newspaper once every few months from Switzlerand,for Swiss living abroad, and a few issues ago they had a big article about this. I will try and dig it out tonight and post it up tomorrow.

Visualy the article was superb!
Hawkwind

If anyone would like scan of the article let me know and i will email it to you.

I'm not quite sure how to host the image for people to see, but might try with facbook image uploader
geneva article
Colin Fielding

Would like to see this article if possible.
Many thanks. Colin Fielding
Hawkwind

Hi Colin, its on its way to you. If it doesn't arrive, let me know.
Schiess VC
Colin Fielding

Thanks for that, much appreciated. Does anybody know when this exhibition is taking place and is anybody thinking of going (good excuse for a weekend jolly !).
Aspinshaw , are you out there? How do you fancy parading around a slippery museum floor in your steel-shod boots ?

Regards, Col F
Colin Fielding

Received an e-mail from Swiss Abroad Museum, stating that Saturday, April 25th will see the opening of this exhibition. I will copy the e-mail onto this forum tomorrow from my work pc

Regards, Col F.
Schiess dedication
Colin Fielding

I have been informed that the dedication to Schiess will now not take place until October 2009

Regards , Colin Fielding
rich

Galloglas..
Would you have any idea where that manuscript on the original Chelmsford inquiry wound up after being found in the desk? Do you think it has been published? Thx