rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Johnny_H

Wow I was thinking of going through these guys for my kit they seem to be the only outfit on the internet that make good AZW and Boer war kit.
Unless anyone has any other suggestions? I saw another site called "The Bunker" I believe, they had a AZW starter kit for $750.00 but there was a disastrous thick red stripe down the trousers and the facings looked dark blue rather than grass green so I stayed far away.

They have a new US/Canadian site
http://www.sutlers.us/

Their prices seem extremely reasonable perhaps too much so, Anyone think they haven't done the conversion from Sterling to USD yet? They have the 1871 Pttn. Valise at $450.00 USD which is fantastic but its about double that on the UK site converted.

Final, ( I hope) comment re Sutlers.
Kiwi Sapper

Location: Middle Earth & Home of Narnia; (Auckland, New Zealand)
I have just received my VISA statement and have seen that Sutlers have reimbursed me seven pound, sixty eight more than my direct expences. In other words, I suspect they have rounded up my expences to forty pound. I assume that this is a compensation for the difficulties involved in the dealings.

I thank them for that and feel it only fair to make it known.

Once again, I say I would deal with them again, but only if I could pop around to sort out problems as opposed to being reliant upon email.

Excellent feedback from others on the uniform including a local museum with whom I am discussing "period costume drama" within their Victorian Village site.

If only Sutlers could resolve the communication issues.

It was a confusion of ideas between him and one of the lions he was hunting in Kenya that had caused A. B. Spottsworth to make the obituary column. He thought the lion was dead, and the lion thought it wasn't.
Signs of improvement...................
Kiwi Sapper

Latest feedback....................

I have just received an email from Nancy, a director of the Sutler's, which says;"..........We have taken into consideration that our email responses etc are slow and we are now in the process of changing the ways that we do things here to improve this service.........."

A good sign and I hope they suceeed. If so, I may even be tempted to indulge in another small investment. If any other members have dealings with Sutlers, could they please post on the outcomes

It was a confusion of ideas between him and one of the lions he was hunting in Kenya that had caused A. B. Spottsworth to make the obituary column. He thought the lion was dead, and the lion thought it wasn't.
My Experiences
wolfie138

Hi all,
Just thought I�d chip in with my experiences. I'm not a re-enactor, but being a big fan of Deadwood I got a taste for the fashions and decided I'd like a double-breasted vest to wear for work. A couple years back I got one of their Mississippi vests and love it, I've worn it virtually every day at work since. That was the good story.
This year, I fancied another and since I had some spare cash I sent them over �100 at the beginning of May for another style of db vest. I wanted it in plain black linen, which was an advertised option. The site said delivery is 6 ~ 8 weeks. When it got to about 10 weeks I mailed them. No reply. A bit later I called them. Some woman (didn't get a name) checked up and said they'd had some production delays and it would be mailed soon. A few days later I got a reply to my mail saying it had been posted.
A couple days later, I opened the package only to find not a plain black one but a black chalk stripe vest with a note attached saying black wasn't available I hope this is acceptable etc. I was livid. I called them up and got some totally apathetic guy on whose attitude was "well what would you like us to do about it?" instead of trying to bother finding a compromise � or, you know, actually apologise or anything. I said I wanted a refund and confirmed they'd refund my postage too. I was furious about this because they'd had a mail and a call from me and hadn't bothered to mention my option wasn't available, or hadn't contacted me to see if an alternative was acceptable.
I sent the item back with a note saying it wasn't acceptable and wanted a refund, or the item in black wool (like my original vest) if possible (though this wasn't an option on the site). A couple days later Nancy replied saying she could do the black wool, so I said go with that. That was May 27th.
On Oct 5th I mailed them saying it had been almost ANOTHER ten weeks and their service was disgraceful. I mentioned them having over �100 of my money since May 2 and hadn't sent what I asked for, nor had they refunded the postage as agreed. I told them I was taking it further, and I mailed the trading standards people who said I'd be able to get a refund via my credit card. They made no mention about any sort of compensation I feel I should be entitled to having lost over 5 months interest on money that could have been in my bank account etc.
On the 8th I got a mail from Nancy saying "Thank you for your email. I am sorry for the delay, you have not been forgotten but we could not remember your name...it is a long story that I could go into but I think it would waste bout our times. " which frankly baffles me as I have no idea what she's talking about ~ I hadn't been forgotten but she couldn't remember me?? Again, no mention of refunds etc.
The mail said she'd try and send the vest on the 9th if possible, otherwise it'd be Monday. So, I'm waiting to see what exactly is going to turn up�.
Needless to say, I am appalled at the service. I put on my order form that I was a returning customer, and suffice to say that's never going to happen again.

I'll let you all know what happens when the package arrives.
Re: My Experiences
Kiwi Sapper

wolfie138 wrote:

The mail said she'd try and send the vest on the 9th if possible, otherwise it'd be Monday. So, I'm waiting to see what exactly is going to turn up�.
..............s.

Oh dear, that is very sad to hear as I had such high expectations of an improvement. Please do provide a report on the final outcome.

wolfie138

nothing's turned up. mailed them today telling them I'm taking it as far as i can legally and with my credit card. this is nothing but fraud, as far as I'm concerned.
Kiwi Sapper

wolfie138 wrote:
nothing's turned up. mailed them today telling them I'm taking it as far as I can legally and with my credit card. this is nothing but fraud, as far as I'm concerned.

Once again, very sad and also disappointing. As I said earlier on their communication, "...... Appalling..... Absolutley bloody appalling! "

Please do update on (any) developments as we have so few ways of avoiding these disasters if we are not aware of them.

Bill Cainan1

Kiwi

As I said above, your experience virtually mirriored my own, although mine was a few years ago. The Sutlers Store do not seem to have changed at all !

As you say the quality of their products is pretty good, but their communication and customer relations are about as bad as they can get.

As with you, they initially made the items totally the wrong size - despite (in my case) Giving them a pattern to work from. They then refuse to admit they had made an error. The hassle comes in trying to get them to correct things - either to make the items properly or to refund the money.

My advice therefore is only to use them if you can't get the items you require anywhere else - and even then be prepared for the grief !

Bill

I use Military History Workshop and have had excellent service mainly the Leather equipment - but good comms , good products and got the goods made and delivered in very good time.
Johnny_H

Seems something has gone horridly wrong at sutlers.co.uk some sort of drama with the current owner and the business being shut down.

What ever it is, it sounds ugly.

Kiwi Sapper

Johnny_H wrote:
Seems something has gone horridly wrong at sutlers.co.uk some sort of drama with the current owner and the business being shut down.

What ever it is, it sounds ugly.

Sad, very sad......................

End of an era.......or should I say, an error.
Kiwi Sapper

Sutlers UK has finally died an agonising and violent (if the statements on Sutler's site and emails on others are to be believed) death. Sad

Where to from here.

Any recommendations as to reliable producers of AZW paraphernalia?

Neil Aspinshaw

Kiwi

Atlanta Cutlery in the USA now have aqquired the merchandise rights to the film Zulu, (they have Harry Potter, X men etc) I will be advising them on the equipment range for the Museums replicas division.
Nothing will be ready for a few months but expect Helmets, Tunics and leatherwork etc, prices will be very keen as it is aimed the the US market. But trust me, I'll make sure it ticks the boxes.

Cracker........................ Very Happy

I will watch this spot............... Shocked

Mattp509

Out of curiosity, anybody know whether "The Thin Red Line" is still in business? Their website is still up just wondering prior to giving them a call?
Sutlers Stores Collectors Edition Catalogue ?