rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Rallying To The Colours - Understanding The Concept
Coll

Although the purpose is obvious, I can truly understand the reassurance men felt in the chaos of a battlefield, when amongst all the fighting, fear and killing, dust and gunsmoke, a flag is seen held aloft, knowing there was where your fellow soldiers were holding out, but also others, like yourself, had a place to head for, when all seems lost.

This isn't really a topic-starter, but it is very clear why paintings of such a rally point in battles, is very popular in the public's imagination, showing the last men, brought together for one more stand against the odds, shoulder-to-shoulder, surrounding the flag.

I can also understand, why, when the flag falls, the bearer having been wounded or killed, someone immediately takes his place, raising it again, giving hope and preventing those left becoming disillusioned, as I think, if the flag were to fall, it may be seen as an ill-omen.

This is just a thought that crossed my mind, with, I guess, no real point being presented.

Coll
Peter Ewart

Coll

As you say, the purpose may be obvious but your point is well made. In fact, a downed colour might well be seen as an ill-omen, but a lost or captured colour was considered a disaster, bringing with it shame - and a great triumph for a European foe.

On 16 May 1811, the Regimental Colour of The Buffs was lost to the French & Polish cavalry but the King's Colour was saved by the efforts - one after the other - of Ensigns Thomas & Walsh, and then of Lt Latham. The various accounts of this episode differ a little but the gist remains the same - one defended it with his life, another picked it up and defied attempts at its capture, also fatally, until the latter lost his arm and half his face in its defence. Demands from the enemy cavalry for its release were met with the rejoinder: "I will surrender it only with my life." A good enough reason for the commemoration annually of Albuhera Day.

One is left to marvel at the training - if that's the right word - which, when the chips were down, impelled men willingly to put the honour of the regiment well above the mere matter of saving life and limb.

Peter
Coll

Peter

Thanks for your reply.

I was hoping that there was some kind of publication that dealt solely with this subject, being the importance of a flag to the infantry, but much like the concept of saluting who and when, I don't think it has been covered in a stand-alone book.

Thanks again

Coll
Rallying To The Colours - Understanding The Concept