rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Remake of Zulu
Alan
Site Admin

On the old forum, Andy Lee suggested visiting the below site for views on a remake of Zulu. It's worth a visit to see the strength of feeling and even regard which 'Zulu' has for many.

Alan

http://theminiaturespage.com/boards/msg.mv?I'd=50243

Last edited by Alan on Mon Sep 05, 2005 12:33 pm; edited 1 time in total

Alan

I found it quite interesting, although you could never better the original Zulu with the characters involved, I would like to see a modern remake just for interest.
Alan
Site Admin

Andy,
I've never expressed an opinion about a remake but I think I might.
Someone mentioned Casablanca and that a remake would simply not work because the whole package, actors etc. was what makes it a classic. I feel the same about the Four Feathers remake, Pearl Harbor, Flight of the Pheonix, Thomas Crown Affair etc.
Members of this forum would want a historically accurate version of a Zulu remake but the producers would not have that as a 'primary' objective.
Of course commercial viability would play an important part but I think we're all aware that the true facts in this case are gripping enough to appear to be fantastic.
In 1963 the standards of the day applied. There had to be an attractive female, the Zulus were savage but noble (salute to fellow braves). Beards weren't in vogue. White helmets, immaculate uniforms, minimum of gore, the obigatory drunk, whimp, rogue and sceptic had to be included.
I don't suppose anyone could produce something which would be ideal so it's probably not worth bothering.

Last edited by Alan on Fri Sep 02, 2005 10:05 am; edited 1 time in total
a.j

I don't think that a remake of Zulu should be made because the version we have now is excellant, but i suppose the battle scenes would be a bit better in a new version but thats the only argument i cn think of for a remake.

Also it might not do so well in American cinema's
Remake of Zulu
margaret mcfarlane

Hi everyone,
Surely the great strength of the original is not simply that it was an exciting if rather inaccurate film but that it gave so many of us (myself included) an interest in this area of history?
I saw the film on its release, saw it again later in the same week and have been watching ever since. Imagine my amazement when, on my return from the cinema, I told my father about it and he informed my that one of the VCs, John Fielding, had lived in Cwmbran and Dad remembered him!
Every time I watch the film I find new things to think about. To learn more about what actually happened I can read books written by knowlegeable people, watch documentaries, go to meetings and visit this website, which is improving all the time. I wouldn't have done any of these without seeing 'Zulu' all those years ago. Incidentally, I am a librarian in a large comprehensive school and am often asked for 'something on the Zulus'. A chat with the pupil inevitably shows that they have seen Zulu and want to know more. Zulu artwork is often used by departments as an inspiration for pupils in many subjects.
So my view is that for accurate information we stick to our researchers and debates but allow the film to continue to stand the test of time. After all. that is the true test of a classic.
Hope this is of interest,
Cheers,
Margaret McF
Barry Iacoppi N.Z

I for one would like to see a remake of” Zulu”. I can’t see how a second version could detract from the first. Sure it would be a hard act to follow and for that reason I doubt that anyone would try.
I would like to see such a remake being made by Steven Spielberg with the same degree of detail as “Saving Private Ryan”. I would like to see real blood and rifles that recoil when fired. I want to see brave frightened men fighting an enemy hell bent on killing them. No corny one liners but a few swear words would not be out of place.
When I first saw “Zulu” on the big screen I was naïve enough to at least think it looked realistic and as a result I could loose myself in it and not be brought back to reality with a jolt every time parts of it clashed with my now more critical and knowledgeable eye. If only I could see it again for the first time.
Ignorance is bliss.
Oh I am still a great fan of the film. I have worn out two cassettes and own the DVD. And if I choose to ware my pith helmet and wipe an oily rag over one of my Martini’s while I view it then call me eccentric.
Mike McCabe

And, what if there were many fewer 'Welsh' people in it - as might well be the case were only the literal central historical story line to be followed?

MC McC
Sheldon Hall

Question:

How many Welsh characters ARE there in ZULU?

Answers on a postcard, please, to... oh, alright, via this thread will do.
Glenn Wade

Hi Sheldon, ummm..lets see

Pte Williams (Hooky, that's a floggin' offence)
Pte 593 Jones (He's a peeler 716)
Pte Robert Jones (Bunch of savages isn't it?)
Pte Thomas (I'm going to see that calf, man)
Pte Owen (Men of Harlech)

I think thats it, not many really

Preparing to be corrected
Wink
Glenn
Rich

Hey Barry..I agree with you. Because of the great subject matter, I'd want a studio to do it. I think that with the strides made on the technical side of movie-making they could fashion a real good show. You just have to hope that they pay attention to some details though. Wouldn't be bad to have Russell Crowe do a trailer all the while yelling..."Do You Not Want to be Entertained!!!"
On another note, when rolling the dice one never was so "lucky" as seeing wave after wave of RISK attackers sacrificing army after army when attacking that "outpost" in South Africa. It was the luck'o'Rorke's...

Sheldon:
Listened to "Dawn" over the weekend, I'll revise my initial comments. It IS good though I have to say I've alweays got that earlier theme in the back o my head! "River Crossing" is top notch. Wink
Coll

As mentioned above, a remake (or reimagined) version of both 'Zulu' and 'Zulu Dawn' should be documentary-type, like 'Saving Private Ryan' or 'Black Hawk Down', in order to give a bit more realism, but also making you feel 'involved' in the events unfolding on the screen.

Additionally, I know films usually need 'big names' to draw people to go and see them, however, I think unknown actors should be used for both films, this way you can 'convince' yourself that they are actually the characters being portrayed, rather than looking at well-known actors and comparing their roles in these films with roles they played in previous movies.

There would then be a detachment from concentrating too much on the actors and actually be able to focus more on the characters and incidents in both of these battles without being distracted by badly cast film stars.

Coll
Kenty

Zulu Dawn needs to be remade with more of a Zulu perspective but there are no big name actors to play the main Zulu characters. Neither Denzel nor Morgan could pull that off.

Of the British I would like to see someone like Christian Bale playing an officer and you could have the likes of Ralph Fiennes, Colin Firth, that Hornblower chap and even Sir Ian McKellan as Chelmsford.

With CGI it could be fantastic now and the possibilities are endless although you would need to see a British director making it.
Joseph

I think it would go over vERY well in American theatres... there is quite a large following of the original.
Joseph

this is my first reply on this site as i am a new member but i have been interested in the zulu war for some time. regarding a remake of zulu i am indifferent but in regards to zulu dawn a remake is needed more and we do have the talent in this country.the problem is that no one is interested enough to make it the are too busy redoing jane austen all the time HOW MANY TIMES MUST WE HAVE A NEW PRIDE AND PREJUDICE.the Americans have done excellent work on GETTYSBURG & BAND OF BROTHERS & the superb ROUGH RIDERS it is up to people like us to keep up the pressure on the film industry to make the films the public want to see not what the film companies want made. if i have gone on too much i apologize but i want a film that pays tribute to all killed at Isandhlwana both zulu and British .ZULU DAWN was good for its time but now is the time for an updated version, the version that Stanley Baker would have made
Dawn

Richard
If you look under "Anglo-Zulu War Books" on this forum, and go to the 5th page of the topic "How can a Man Die Better", you will see that Mike Snook is doing a screenplay. Now if his book is anything to go by, I think the screenplay would be just as great. There's hope yet that the battle of Isandlwana will receive a proper airing on the screen! Perhaps I should whisper into Peter Jackson's ear!! Wink

Dawn
Remake of Zulu