rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Foreign Service Helmet
Neil Bates

Hi, I have a khaki British Foreign Service helmet with four fold puggaree stamped inside (under the dust) WD with arrow/crowsfoot and the date 80 plus size. There are no brass hooks as in later helmets to attach a chinstrap to and they certainly don't seem to have been removed. The headband is attached by webbing straps. Does anyone know whether the chinstrap was attached in some way to these or in some other way? Many thanks for any help anyone can give.
Sawubona

Neil,
These "foreign service" helmets are a nightmare to I'd, but I'm willing to give it my shot. Could you send me a JPG or three of it? I'd like to see one of the lining and interior, a side shot (left or right, it doesn't matter), a kind of three-quarter from below, a shot of the top of the dome from the outside and any sort of additional, but possibly important input you can give (like when you "thump" it does it sound soft or hard or is there any evidence of a plate having been attached through two or three holes in the front). Just what do you "need" to know about it? The "webbing" reference suggests that it's Boer War or later, but the jury is still out without more info. I've "acquired" a few myself , so I'm no stranger to this line of research.
Foreign Service Helmet