rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Bare feet thorns and broken glass.
HARMAN

I recently read an article regarding the lack of defence at Isandhlwana.
It was mentioned that not even Bush Thorns and broken bottles were used,

So was this type of defence used in other battles during this period.
I must admit I thought it was a good idea. Bare feet thorns and broken glass not a good combination.
Harold Raugh

Hello Peter,
Could you please provide the bibliographic citation (author, title of article, name of journal, issue/no., date of publication, pages) of this article?
Thank you.
Cheers,
Harold Raugh
HARMAN

Harold Click on link.

There is another publication which I have but still trying to find it.

http://www.anglozuluwar.com/nss-folder/downloads/campaign_life.pdf

Its all good reading but you will find the mention of broken bottles half way down.
HARMAN

Harold
I found this while trawling the internet. With refrence to broken bottles being used.

Second Matabele War

Siege of Bulawayo

With few troops to support them, the settlers quickly built a laager in the centre of Bulawayo on their own. Oil-soaked fagots were arranged in strategic locations in case of attack at night. Blasting gelatin was secreted in outlying buildings that were beyond the defence perimeter, to be exploded in the event the enemy occupied them. Smashed glass bottles were spread around the front of the wagons. Barbed wire and a laager of sandbagged wagons was added to Bulawayo's defenses. Except for hunting rifles, there were few weapons to be found in Bulawayo. But fortunately for settlers, there were a few working artillery .

Like I say I wonder if anyone knows of this type of defence being used and was it effective.
Harold Raugh

Hello Peter,
Thank you very much for your prompt messages and interesting information. Many thanks indeed!
Cheers,
Harold
HARMAN

Sorry to drag this topic back again but I came across this little article

THE ANGLO ZULU WAR OF 1879
BY
ROBERT GERRARD FRGS:THE BATTLE OF KHAMBULA
29th March 1879

Broken glass and other sharp objects had been littered around the outside of the walls of the redoubt.

My question is True or False.

Full artical

http://www.travellersimpressions.com/process/articlepage.php?storycode=rg0007
Jeff Dickinson

Peter H,

I was always told that this was the case and have personally identified dark colored broken glass in abundance popping up though the soil along the lines of defense at both Khambula and Fort Melvill. However, I have no contemporary source that this was �regulation� to refer you to.

Regards, Jeff
HARMAN

Jeff,
Thanks very much for you reply. I know it�s an old topic but I was happy to come across the article by chance.
And your personal account of seeing the broken glass in abundance gives more weight to say this type of defence was put in place.

Regards

HARMAN. P
Keith Smith

I offer the following as a suggestion as to the source of the bottles, certainly at Fort Cherry (Kranskop), the following from a paper:

'Paul Thompson suggests that so crapulous were the white officers (and presumably the NCOs) of the regiment "that the officers on occasion drank until their company was obnoxious. The ditch of the fort was filled with broken bottle glass�ostensibly a defensive measure." (Laband and Thompson, War Comes to Umvoti, p. 111.)

KIS
HARMAN

Does anyone know the title of this book by Ian Knight this is all I could get from the source.

By Ian Knight - 2003 - History - 96 pages
This photograph shows precautions for defence at Greytown, ... and by broken bottles both designed to impede the approach of the bare-footed Zulu.

Regards

HARMAN P
Jeff Dickinson

Peter,

Sorry I didn�t think of it earlier but do you have a copy of (British Fortifications in Zululand 1879) by Ian Knight? I completely forgot about it and need to pick up a copy myself. I don't think it is the same reference you mentioned as it is listed at 64 pages but my guess is that your question will be covered. It is available through the shop link to the RRW shop. Off I go to get my copy�.
Regards, Jeff
HARMAN

Excellent thanks very much Jeff.
Bare feet thorns and broken glass.