rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Participants ???
Sapper Mason

Smile ,
I look to those with greater understanding than i , was the 2 / 10th ( Lincolnshire Regt ) a participant in the Zulu war ? , i seem to ( not sure ) think maybe the 1ST Btn was ( ? ) , i know they were in South Africa c 1900 but am not sure round 1879 , Thanks forum , " Sapper " Cool
HARMAN

Sapper this is all I can come with. Don't know if it helps.

"Lieutenant-Colonel Charles Huntly, 10th Regiment of Foot, British Army:
The son of Charles Hugh Huntly of Grahamstown, South Africa, and a descendent of the 1820 Settlers of South Africa, he was educated at St. Andrew�s College in Grahamstown. Huntly was commissioned in the 10th Regiment of Foot, the Lincolnshire Regiment, in 1864, and promoted to Lieutenant in the regiment on the 9 May 1865, while serving with the 1st battalion. Huntly served in the Perak River Expedition in Malaya (1874-1876), and during the expedition, took part in the attack on, and capture of the Kapayan Stockades and also commanded a successful attack on a village near Blanja, being Mentioned-in-Despatches (London Gazette, 23 February 1876), and also received the Medal with Clasp. Huntly later served in the Zulu War of 1879, while attached to the Army transport department , being present at Ulundi".
Martin Everett

Peter,

Your reply is to be congratulated. It follows the tradition of many of the regular contributors to this website. But why then you do fire off na�ve question - often explaining you are new to the AZW - to wind up other contributors. You have a lot of talent and more knowledge than your quick fire questions suggest - playing it straight will bring a lot of friends and much respect.

Coll

Harman

I've never known Martin to be so full of praise of someone who appears to be so new to the Anglo-Zulu War 1879.

I'm not one for these Cluedo-type investigations, but this has confirmed (to me at least) you may well indeed be wise-in-the-knowledge of this subject and perhaps military history in general.

Also, I do get a sense of some (harmless) mischief, but a sense of humour is most welcome on the forum sometimes.

I've got the feeling that I know who you are, or who you remind me of, but I'm glad you decided to stay.

Best

Coll
diagralex

Sapper,

Regimental movements as follows :-

1st Battalion in Ireland 1862. Posted to Cape Colony, South Africa 1864.
Posted to Japan in 1868. Moved to Hong Kong in 1871.
Returned home in 1877 and remained in home station for the next 18 years.

2nd Battalion formed in 1858 in Ireland. Posted to Cape Colony in 1860 and
remained there until 1864. (Replaced by 1st Battalion). Moved station to India in 1864 and remained there until returning home in 1873. Spent 8 years at home and then posted to Gibraltar in 1881. Posted to India in 1882.

Hope this helps. Graham
mike snook 2

Either deliberately provocative or more than one person, neither of which is acceptable, nor is it in the slightest bit funny.
Peter Ewart

Sapper

Doesn't look like it. Apart from not being able to recall a reference to their presence, I note they don't appear among the infantry regiments sent out after Isandlwana (folding page schedule towards the rear of the Narrative) nor among the British units in Ian Knight's The ZW Then & Now.

A very small point on PH's extract above about Huntley, just in case any one is interested in that particular officer's background. There are doubts that he was descended from an 1820 Settler, as another source has him born at Uitenhage in 1819, his Irish soldier father having arrived in 1815. In R.F. Currey's history of St Andrew's College, Grahamstown (Oxford, 1955), there is an amusing anecdote about the above Charles Huntley's son, who also attended that school. It also mentions that this son, Hougham Charles Huntley, was the first Andrean to become a professional soldier (in c1862) eventually rising to the rank of Major General.

Peter

P.S. Sapper, I must have been posting at the same time as Graham but finished only after an interruption. His notes are clearly conclusive. P.
Graves1879

The only info I have is the following.

Proceeded on transport service to South Africa in November 1878, and served throughout the war, first as transport officer to the 2nd Division in its advance to Ulundi, and afterwards as senior transport officer with Baker Russell's Column. (Brevet of Major.

Date of Birth - 25th July 1845
First Appointment - Ensign - 10th Foot - 8th September 1863
Lieutenant - 10th Foot - 9th May 1865
Captain - Lincolnshire Regiment - 31st October 1877
Brevet Major - 29th November 1879
Major - Lincolnshire Regiment (1st Battalion) - 11th March 1882
Garrison Adjutant, Cape of Good Hope - 27th July 1866 to 4th January 1868
Special Service, Cape of Good Hope - 1st November 1878 to 14th November 1879
Perek Expedition - 1874-5-6 - Attack and capture of Kapayan stockades, commanded successful attack on the village near Blanja. Despatches, London Gazette, 23rd February 1876. Medal with Clasp.
South African War - 1879 - Zulu Campaign - Served in Transport Department, and present at the battle of Ulundi. Mentioned in Despatches. Medal with Clasp; Brevet of Major.
Thank you ( i think ? )
Sapper Mason

Confused Not quite sure what is going on here Forum ! , i have scant knowledge of regimental movements ect and concentrate on ( in the main ) genealogy concerns . Quite often i get asked questions to which i have not the slightest clue as to the answers ! , hence in this case my query .

With such as Mike Snook ( glad to have to have you back Sir ! ) , PETER EWART, J YOUNG to name but a few i advance almost daily in my knowledge and am greatful for this , the last thing i intend is to stir up any potential , " hornets nests " .

I gain more understanding DAILY and thank those who have responded in a POSITIVE manner on this item , whilst in the chair so to speak can i ask if anyone has more in depth information on the following man .

Sgt F Care 24 th , enlisted 1865 has LSGC medal , MSM medal , SA medal . A post card has seemingly come up on e-bay for sale ( ? ) , indeed the picture i have seen supports an elderly gent with three medals on his jacket . Do we know how old he was in 1865 and where he was born ( ? ) .

My thanks to those with a far greater understanding in these matters than i , " Sapper " Cool
HARMAN

Thank you Gentleman for your kind comments.

It was after receiving two personal emails from very well known people and major players in this field that I decided to stay. Let say the pen is mightier than the sword.

Once again thanks for your comments.

Regards

HARMAN P
John Young

Peter H,

Please satisfy my curious mind, why did you miss off this officer's unusual first name in your answer?

Only it isn't given on http://peek-01.livejournal.com/tag/1767-1898 either, yet the same mispelling of the surname appears in both your answer and on that site.

Graham,

Is that the name you are looking for, or is it another?

Andy,

What I've got goes along with your material for Hougham Charles Huntley.

John Y.
HARMAN

It�s not my material John. I just spend a bit of time trawling the internet as you can see by the time of my post to help Sapper with his question.

There are quotation marks for all to see.

I�m not in the habit of rectify spelling mistake on other peoples work.

This is a discussion forum where topics are discussed and if researching a particular subject helps another forum member then the forum as achieved its aim.

I expect the other forum member that also replied took time to research this question for Sapper and we do it at the price of considerable time and effort; and are absolutely free of charge to the consumer.

Regards

HARMAN P
John Young

Peter H,

I appreciate it is not your material, but you neglected to cite your reference or refer in any way to the original author. Thereby leaving yourself (and this website) open to copyright issues from the original author.

You might not be in the habit of rectifying spelling mistakes, but in doing so you are perpetuating their errors. For all we know Graham (Sapper) might have already passed this information on.

I would appreciate it if you didn't attempt preach to me about the merits and usefulness of this discussion forum, I'm already converted to the fact.

John Y.
HARMAN

John quote from another topic on this forum.

Not everyone is the same or has the same knowledge of the subject or has the same background.
It's one of the forum's qualities that we have this varied membership and all are included. No one has to involve themselves in any topic if they don't want to.

Regards

HARMAN P.
PAX!
Sapper Mason

Shocked ,
As my GRAN used to say! PAX. I do appreciate the fact i am a basic novice in this area and quite often , " lean " on those with better knowledge than i , most of you out there in fact . I do appreciate POSITIVE and well meant replies , even good humoured , " digs " , i have broad shoulders and take my share of flack i hope without biting back ( too often ! ) .

Diagralex actually gave me the answer i was seeking , was the 2 / 10TH actually in the Zulu War ??? , i did not request the particulars of any individual of this regiment as can be seen .

The fact that this officer WAS a participant is very interesting and another name to now research so my thanks to Peter for raising this name . I can now get back to the person who contacted me and put them straight on the individual they asked about .

Let`s not get lost in arguements but heated and well versed debate on the subject matter we all contribute to and have opinion on , my thanks to all contributors , " Sapper " Cool
Participants ???