rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Keith Smith

Keith

I have stayed there a number of times and the hitching rail is still there, and still highly polished!

KIS
MASON`S ?
Sapper Mason

Smile ,
Being a Sapper myself ( retired ) , it is only now John ( Young ) i fully appreciate what the Engineers did in the Zulu WAR , being an ex-plant mechanic i must admit while serving i did not pay much attention to events of 1879 than i do today . Getting the right kit is proving so ruddy difficult ! , when i read the almost inbelieveable in depth items by Neil on the Martini Henry i realise just how little i know ! . Point taken about the pill box hat , a Glengarry will just have to do until such times as i can get a proper sized pill box c RE .

I know there were a number of men named MASON not only in the 24 th but others regiments as well , do you know of any John ? . If i ever found out i WAS a relative of one of these men it would be fantastic , however i am not confident at this time to say if i am, much research has to be done ! .

One thing that i am 100 % certain of is that 1284 Pte Charles Mason ( 2 / 24 Th ) and myself share is birthdays , he was born 13 th August 1855 and on the same day ------------- a few years later i might add , i was born . He was baptised 2nd Sept 1855 and i need to recheck when i was baptised .

Hopefully in the next few weeks i will have the document( s ) that prove QM Bloomfield was married TWICE , i know he had one daughter with his first wife and two daughters with his second , i have yet to discover the name of his first wife but will soon know that . For me the fascination of finding out about the past and in some cases correcting errors some 100 years + AGO does it for me .

Do we know much about Cpl Gamble RE and his Sappers John ? , it could be argued that Robson was not a Sapper but a Driver RE and so when the order came to Rorke's Drift for all SAPPERS to return to Isandlwana i suppose he could of argued that this order did not apply to him , mind you , would Chard have sent Gamble and the 4 Sappers to the Column without Robson ( ? ) . Thank you once again for the amazing catalogue of knowledge you have and we can draw on , " Sapper " Cool
Peter Ewart

Sapper

If you haven't got Red Earth you'll find it a useful account of the RE in the AZW. You may also have Napier & Borer, Follow the Sapper, a monumental (newish?) work on the history of the RE?

I'm sure your knowledge of the RE's history is pretty comprehensive but if you ever get the chance to hear Brig Tony Harking OBE's excellent illustrated lecture on the history and development of your Corps from earliest times to the present day, I'd recommend it. He is at present Commandant of the RSME and Commander, Chatham Garrison (and jolly good company over lunch, I'd have to add!) and his talk goes under the same name, Follow the Sapper.

Peter
Keith Beavon

Hi John,

Thanks again for your help. I am now particularly interested in William Beavan that you have some detail on (See your quote below):

[quote="John Young"]Keith,

Here goes:

Pte. Samuel Beavan, 2nd/24th kia @ Isandlwana

Pte. William Beavan, 2nd/21st RNBF. His original number of 1979, has been crossed through. Then 21B/2467 added which is odd as the 21st RNBF were part of No. 61 Brigade with their depot in Glasgow & No. 21 Brigade's depot was Shrewsbury and was comprised of 43rd & 53rd Regt.'s. I can only assume he transferred in between the campaign and the medal being issued.

Do you have, or can you point me to someone who has, date of birth of the said William Beavan (1979) of 2nd B/21st RNBF or RSF?

I hope so,
thanking you,

Keith
John Young

Keith,

His service/discharge papers could very well be held at the National Archives, Kew, West London. You'd have to employ a researcher to locate them; unless there are any volunteers on the forum. These papers should reveal a date & place of birth.

John Y.
In time
Sapper Mason

Smile ,
Dear Peter , Many thanks for your input as ever , i am aware of these publications but as yet have not got them , in truth i have forgotten more about the history of the Engineers than i care to admit ! , such as you put me on track again and with the font of knowledge with a the likes of John Young for an example i make great strides in gaining further knowledge in this theatre of knowledge , there is a legend at Kew called WILLIAM SPENCER , the man is a walking computer of facts ! , a legend in his life time . Thanks once again for the information , " Sapper " Cool
Telegraph equipment