rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Elizabeth Hogan
peterw

Some of you may recall the book review site, the Anglo Zulu War Research Society, founded by Elizabeth Hogan.

Can I ask whether anyone has actually met Elizabeth Hogan?

Peter
peterw

No takers?

OK, let's try again. Has anyone met Elizabeth Mary Hogan?

Peter
peterw

Let's go back to Elizabeth Hogan, who is a member here, and made several contributions to this thread:
http://www.rorkesdriftvc.com/discussion.php?topid=14223&forid=1

I'm surprised that someone can "disappear" and wondered what had happened to her.

Peter
PRS

I thought she was the alter ego of a well known AZW author !

Site Admin

Perhaps we should cease speculation on someone who is registered.
She has long since ceased contributing and has not infringed any rules.

My question was prompted the research I undertake into servicemen. Who were they, were they at a specific place at a particular time? What happened to them afterwards? This got me thinking about Elizabeth Hogan. I've been fortunate to meet a number of contributors to this site - and correspond with others - but Elizabeth Hogan was/is an enigma.

As a review site, the AZWRS may influence the buying public, including visitors to RDVC, in their purchase of Zulu War books. I think to ask what happened to the founder is a fair question.

I don't know the answer so I'm asking the question publicly as the other contributors to the Book Review thread above might be interested in the answer since one of the current Directors of the AZWRS is a contributor to this forum.

Peter
HARMAN

Peter old Chap.

Let�s just say she had opinions of which she is entitled to.
She may just browse the forum as a guest.
Wouldn�t be right to use her as a topic of conversation Wink

HARMAN P
peterw

This thread has had 390 views and not one sighting of Elizabeth Hogan.

Peter
peterw

In my first post I may have erred in suggesting that Elizabeth Hogan "founded" the Anglo Zulu War Research Society. She does not appear to have ever served as a Director of the company.

The company appears to have been formed in 2004 although Elizabeth's post

In fact this is such a huge topic I am considering setting up a website to deal with these topics.

was dated 26th July 2005.

Curious.

Peter
peterw

Since I have been unable to learn anything about Elizabeth Hogan, this is a public appeal to author David Payne, a Director of the AZWRS and a contributor here, for assistance.

Peter
Peter Ewart

Peter

Well, it always was rather curious, inasmuch that the company was founded in 2004, the year before "Elizabeth Hogan" said she/he was "considering setting up a website"; "hope to have my own website shortly;" "the more I delve the more I am convinced the website I envisage will happen shortly"; "I will now be going ahead"; "am working hard towards setting it up." If it all depended upon the reaction from the forum - as was categorically stated - why had the company already long been founded?

The aggressive approach in her/his posts, which seemed artificially to display a sense of being taken aback by the combined response from the forum, was unfortunate. And yet, one would expect the opposite to have been the case, in that an attempt to avoid the clumsy, amateurish approach which actually transpired would have been made by "Elizabeth." As you say, all very curious - and, after all, she/he did warn us that the reviews would be written by authors, even if not by the authors!

Incidentally, did she ever turn up to the Firepower event where she was billed as special guest? Some of the members here no doubt attended. It was also rather curious that a John Silversmith materialised in the above-mentioned thread, strongly supporting the project, never to be seen again. I don't suppose one should wonder about yet another pseudonym?

Peter
peterw

In the absence of ANY information to the contrary, one possible scenario is that Elizabeth Hogan does not exist.

I'm happy to be proved wrong.

Peter
Barbara Grant

Hmmm. Interesting topic, a little bit of a mystery, particularly as the subject is "Elizabeth" Hogan not "Edward" Hogan and there is rather a small number of women doing A-ZW research, forming societies, writing novels and screenplays, etc.. A woman who shows up one day with a large project and then is not since heard from is a subject that is sure to raise some eyebrows.

The above said, I can think of many reasons why a woman who starts something publicly and develops an internet presence, even, might suddenly retreat from view. There are a lot of weirdos and freaks out there and one never knows exactly what sort of person one is corresponding with. However, her non-appearance at a (presumably) public event (Peter E.'s post) at which she was billed inclines me to believe that she does not desire to remain anonymous.

Barbara
Barbara Grant

Correction to my post, above: Peter E asked whether Ms. Hogan showed up; in my comment I assumed she had not. This was incorrect, as I have no information one way or the other. Sorry about that. B.
HARMAN

Some book reviews by Elizabeth Hogan Dated Tuesday 07th of February 2006

http://www.azwrs.com/view.php?book=54
Elizabeth Hogan