rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Sound of Gun Fire
HARMAN

It was claimed that fire could be heard from Isandhlwana at Rorke�s Drift during the battle.
When Chelmsford column eventually returned to Isandhlwana would they not have been able to hear the sustained gun fire coming from Rorke�s drift,
There were some reports that fire could be seen at Rorke�s drift but was there any, mention of gun fire.
If gun fire was heard why was there no attempt to send reinforcements?
Or was it another case of Chelmsford dragging his heels.

I can hear Chelmsford now. "Crealock old chap lets camp here. There's only a few of them a Rorke's Drift it will all be over in the Morning.
Might as well get hung for a sheep than a lamb.
William Seymour

Peter Old Chap
Not quite sure whether you meant that you should be "hung for a sheep than a lamb", or Chelmsford. Wink
Regards
JK
P.S. The forum has been a bit quiet whilst you were away, so I thought you might like some replies.
HARMAN

Hi William
Thought I would keep my head below the parapet for a while.

What I meant is why be overly concerned about 139 defenders when you have just made the biggest military blunder in history that costs the lives of all those a Isandhlwana.

'I might as well be hung for a sheep as a lamb.' If the consequence of failure is the same in either case, then go for the option that yields the greatest
peterw

Peter

With respect, you seem to have access to a number of books covering this period. Have you attempted to discover the reason for this before posing the question? To answer it will require someone to spend time referring to books you may possess already.

Peter (W)
HARMAN

Hello Peter

Peter to be honest with you I have got some books on this subject but most of the time its thoughts that come into my head.
For example I read that some of the defenders at Rorke�s Drift wrote accounts of hearing the guns at Insandlhwana and they thought the Zulus were getting a good beating. Then I reverse the situation thus could the guns at Rorke�s Drift be heard from Isandhlwana. Sad I know
Then I pose this thought on the forum I get various answers from the more knowledgeable ones. The good thing is its starts a discussion where not only do I get reasonable answers to my posting but I get to learn about other bits of interesting information.
And the other good point about a discussion forum is you do not have to reply to a posting if you don�t want to.
peterw

OK. But sometimes it reads as if you want others to do your research for you.

Peter
HARMAN

Like I said "users do not have to reply to a posting if you don�t want to"
John Young

Coming soon to a bookshop near you - Peter Harman's blockbuster on the Zulu War!

Don't forget to mention the glow from the hospital fire as well!

John Y.
HARMAN

I did mention the fire.

"There were some reports that fire could be seen at Rorke�s Drift"

Block Buster who knows.
Jamie

Also, some of Wood's troops on Khambula reported hearing the artillary fire at Isandlwana - some 60 miles to their south on the day of battle I believe.

Jamie,

This from Wood's autobiography From Midshipman to Field Marshal:

We heard the guns (F/N 1) fired at Isanwhlana [sic], 50 miles off that evening as we sat round a camp fire.

Footnote 1= These were fired by Lord Chelmsford's troops returning from Sirayo's district to the wrecked camp. Our Senior officers asked my opinion, what was the probable cause, and I said guns fired after dark indicated, I apprehended, an unfavourable situation.

So rather than the guns being fired in battle, it is the two sections under Harness firing on their return to the camp.

Edits to Wood's quote add by myself for clarity.

John Y.
HARMAN

But they still heard the guns.
Coll

Harman

I watched an interesting documentary, which went into great detail about 'audio shadows', during battle(s).

Obviously, this has to do with the terrain, but still interesting.

Perhaps there is more information on the net, giving details on the subject of 'audio shadows'.

Coll
Jamie

John Young wrote:
Jamie,

This from Wood's autobiography From Midshipman to Field Marshal:

We heard the guns (F/N 1) fired at Isanwhlana [sic], 50 miles off that evening as we sat round a camp fire.

Footnote 1= These were fired by Lord Chelmsford's troops returning from Sirayo's district to the wrecked camp. Our Senior officers asked my opinion, what was the probable cause, and I said guns fired after dark indicated, I apprehended, an unfavourable situation.

So rather than the guns being fired in battle, it is the two sections under Harness firing on their return to the camp.

Edits to Wood's quote add by myself for clarity.

John Y.

You are quite correct John.

When I was on Khambula in 2006 the guide - Sean Friend told this story also.

Jamie

Sound of Gun Fire