rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Hlobane Memorials and graves
Andrew Bush

When visiting Hlobane plateau I was amazed that there were no graves or memorials to the brave colonials that perished.

Our guide Sean seemed to think that it was because there were no imperial solders in the action only colonials apart from the Imperial Officers. I am aware of Campbell�s and Lloyd�s grave only and Uys that has been severely desecrated.

As the AbaQulusi were a particularly ferocious Zulus the only idea I have is that all the dead and wounded were thrown over the cliff edge.

According to Blood on the Painted Mountain approx 130 colonials were killed and of Woods Irregulars 200 were killed. What happened to them?

Hi, this has also puzzled me, when I was last at the graves of Campbell and Lloyd, there was a number of other graves about 30 meters away all unmarked, no one in our party knew anything about them or if they were modern, but it would be strange for the modern population to bury people so far up the mountain?
check out the KLH website for a number of memorials in the UK to those killed at Hlobane.
1879memorials.com
RaiE
Keith Smith

Rai

I saw those same graves when I was there a couple of years ago. and they puzzled me too. I thought then, and still have the same view, that they were more likely to be Zulu graves. I have seen very similar graves on the side of the Nyoni Ridge at Isandlwana.
KIS
Mel

According to ZV2, it would appear that these are the graves of six of the Border Horse who were killed as they acted as guard while Wood conducted Campbell and Lloyds burial service.

What page Mel and where were the other graves I visited in late Sept 05

Andrew
Sorry, I quoted wrong book. There is a description of the burial service with the six deaths from Weatherley's Border Horse on page 89 of ZV2.
On page 211 of "Blood On The Painted Mountain", Ron Lock describes how, in 1993, he visited Cambell and Lloyd's grave and the area had recently been swept by fire exposing a number of stone mounds, clearly graves and likely those of Weatherley's casualties.
These graves were not visible when I visited the area in Oct 2002.

Andrew/Mel

I visited the site just a couple of years ago and the graves were quite visible then, and only a few (15 or 20) metres from that of Campbell and Lloyd. As far as I was aware, there is no evidence that any of the fallen, with the exception of Campbell, Lloyd and Piet Uys, were buried on the mountain and my original contention that they are later Zulu graves remains. As I said in my earlier post, I have seen identical graves on the Nyoni ridge at Isandlwana.

I have a picture of one of them if you would like a copy, but it is not very informative.
KIS
Mel

Keith
The lack of graves and evdence regarding burials is, indeed, puzzling. Maybe Ron can shed more light on the matter? Yes, I would like a copy of the photo please.

It has been written that the remnants of the Border Horse including Weatherley, were killed and then tossed over the ledge at Ityentika Nek. This is also puzzling. Why would the Zulu throw them over the ledges?
It seems to me that the ledges themselves would prevent any bodies falling to the bottom anyway. Does any one know the source of this story?

peterw

I recall reading that some men were thrown alive. This doesn't seem to square with the notion that a warrior had to split the stomach to release the spirit.

Were these isolated incidents of bloodlust, or post-event propaganda by the British?

Peter
Michael Boyle

Were the AbuQulusi as committed to releasing the spirits of their victims or were they as committed to pre- and post-battle "doctoring" for that matter? I'm not sure how much they shared with the Zulu mainstream.

MAB
Keith Smith

Mel

I believe that Barton's and Weatherley's men were not thrown off the ledge but, since they were mounted, man and horse were forced over the edge bodily. Regardless of where they landed, if you have seen any photographs of this area, then you would know that they died as a result. I know that Ron has done some work on this and has identified the path taken by Barton, Weatherley and Dennison with some of the survivors. Weathgerley and his son were killed on the way down while Barton (and Poole?) was pursued and killed a few miles after reaching the bottom.
KIS
Peter Quantrill

Ron is away till next week, but I know he wishes to post a response in due course as Hlobane is very much his speciality.
Prior to publication of ZV2, Ron and I, accompanied by David Rattray, Rob Caskie and Shaun Friend spent a full exhilarating day on a detailed Hlobane recce, armed with Dennison's chapter. The ground unfolded before us and we were able to locate firing positions behind rocks adequately described by Dennison, together with spent cartridge cases. (Left where found) We followed the path outlined on page 200 ZV2, (again using Dennison's description) and almost certainly located the exact spot that Weatherley and his son fell as Dennison was pretty precise. They were, we believe, not thrown off the ledge, but killed a short distance from relative safety, perhaps a few hundred yards from the descent shown on page 200.
To those who intend to visit Hlobane and are staying at Fugitives Drift or are in touch with Shaun, do try and pursuade David, Rob or Shaun or indeed whoever is your guide, to take you down the path of Weatherley's retreat. They must be armed with Dennison's chapter to bring to life the story of events. Tiring but worthwhile. Ron incidently also takes groups to Hlobane. Four wheel drive and good weather essential allied with a fair amount of walking.
Andrew Bush

We went with Sean in late Sept, when did you guys do your detailed Hlobane recce. I am extremely interested in Hlobane and other areas of the war apart from IS and RD. Keith could you please email the photos

Andrew,
The recce was carried out in early March 2005.
Keith Smith

Andrew

Leave a private message with your email address and I will send it (there is only one) to you.

KIS
Hlobane Memorials and graves