rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Zulu (BD) - Released On November 3rd 2008
Coll

I'm probably late with this news, being already known, but I've only seen it mentioned today in a magazine myself.

Coll
Sawubona

Coll, sorry to be obtuse, but what's a "BD"?
Sawubona

Does it mean "Blueray Disc" perhaps?
Coll

Sawubona

Yes.

Coll
Sawubona

Thanks for that, Coll. I've never heard a disc referred to as "BD" in my neck of The States-- We'd either say "Blue-Ray" or "HD". Is "BD" the common designation where you're from (and where might that be)?
rich

Sawubona ..me too with "BD"......things get "sticky as a wicket" 'round here if you aren't of the Brit persuasion.. Wink

Rich

Not quite (immediately proving your point!): one wouldn't use the phrase in the context of a similie.

One might find oneself on a sticky wicket. Colonel Pulleine definitely found himself on a sticky wicket when the Nyogane Donga was ceded for example.

I'm sure you know the expression comes from the days of uncovered pitches. Also known [archaically] as a 'sticky dog' I believe. Overnight rain might produce a sticky dog, to the great joy of the spinners - no, not the folk group....the cricketers. What a great language!!

Very Happy

As ever

Mike
rich

Thanks Mike....Righto, on the simile bit! This old boy is getting straight in using the language!

So is it true?....

Cricket is basically baseball on valium.
Many Continentals think life is a game; the English think cricket is a game.
Cricket is full of theorists who can ruin your game in no time.
It's been a very slow and dull day, but it hasn't been boring. It's been a good, entertaining day's cricket.
Few things are more deeply rooted in the collective imagination of the English than the village cricket match.
Cricket, a game which the English, not being a spiritual people, have invented in order to give themselves some conception of eternity.

And here's a good one from none other than George Orwell:
Fabulous!
Cricket is a game full of forlorn hopes and sudden dramatic changes of fortune and its rules so ill-defined that their interpretation is partly an ethical business.

And wasn't it the late and great Groucho Marx who, after watching two hours of his first cricket match, exclaimed "What a great game! When does it start?"
Damian O'Connor

In 1807 the Royal Navy fought a major action at Lissa in the Adriatic. It is now known as Vis - and has a cricket club.
Peter Ewart

Rich

You can take a horse to the water but you can't make him drink...

Sadly, although at least two modern Americans have been smitten, I'm not sure either of them - JP Getty II & this latest Stanford chap - get it (or got it, in the case of the former). JPG is lauded as a Yank who actually saw the light, as it were, but despite his originally being converted by Mick Jagger, I suspect the people with whom he was surrounded over here for 20 or 30 years provided him with a rather narrow and unrealistic vision of the game and its character. The notion of a quaint, bucolic pastime is certainly not extinct but it is only one narrow aspect. Would JPG have understood, let alone appreciated, a couple of gritty Tyke openers grafting away against swing and seam on a damp Harrogate strip on a freezing afternoon in early May, determined to yield nothing, and who would have been horrified (as would the spectators) at any suggestion that there was a need for hurry? I'm sure he wouldn't. But that, too, is only one aspect of the game.

Despite the prominence of some excellent American players a century or more ago (including the best fast bowler in the world) I don't think this game is for the States, any more than we would encourage baseball/rounders in our schoolgirls once they had left primary (i.e. junior) school. Wink

A game, Rich? Last weekend I played my last game of the season (when the cricket weather finally arrived this year!) and the match took place in the most idyllic and picturesque setting, with thatched pavilion, two 600-year old horse chestnut trees inside the boundary, tea on the grass (yes, cucumber sandwiches of course!) & we took it all for granted, as we have for generations - until my son stumped a batsman off my bowling, and I thought I'd gone to heaven!

If I as much as suggested to my two sons the possibility that there was any sort of life outside cricket, they would assume I had taken leave of my senses.

Peter

P.S.. Who started this digression? We'll be kicked down to the bottom soon!
rich

Peter...and right i'll get this in before it gets bumped!...

I can see you and your guys certainly love cricket! You know I'd love to try to bowl and bat. I know I'd have confidence in my sporting abilities to do it since I have played basketball, football, soccer and tennis. Er..only think I'd need is a "translator" near me. But of course there would be the question if the game will humble me. Boy I'd love to do it when I go back to England. Fix me up with a match, Peter! But do I have to "dress" up? Cool

And btw they do play some cricket here. But it's the ethnic groups such as those from the Caribbean who I see play on the weekends in their leagues. They look good in their whites and can spray that ball around!

Peter ,

Oh how i wish we Tykes still had a couple of openers able to graft - we seem to have got this chap called Vaughan from somewhere (England Very Happy ) who grafts for all of 20 minutes ! Whatever happened to that Boycott fellow - he was a grafter !

But at least we escaped relegation (just) Wink
Peter Ewart

Gary

Now, now - don't rub it in!

Said Rhodes to Hirst "The rot begoon
When they started to play the game for foon."

Lines from some verse a late uncle of mine wrote 30-odd years ago about the demise of the game in the land of the White Rose, in which he had the ghosts of the past lamenting the state of things up in the three Ridings in the 1970s (coincidentally, the time of "Sir Geoffrey"!)

Vaughan a Tyke? Once upon a time your lot would never have considered him - something to do with his birth certificate! I fear No 5 or 6 is now his only chance of a revival.

Peter
Damian

Well is the captain of England not a born and bred Yorkshireman?
Zulu (BD) - Released On November 3rd 2008