rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Dawn

By the way, the current discussion just emphasises my point that we need to think before we post. I myself, have deleted and/or edited my posts when I realise that maybe I shouldn't be saying such things, and then sometimes I've been corrected by forum members. It's all in the give and take of an open forum and I think we should keep it that way without enforcing rules.

Dawn
HARMAN

You say (I myself, have deleted and/or edited my posts )

I never knew you could do this.
Mmm
Leslie James Knight

Got to say this.get over yourselfs..all of you..in case your forgetting..ITS NOT ABOUT ANY OF YOU..like silly point scoring kids..I've had so many invitatations to comment off forum.Ladies and Gentleman please remember why this forum exists!!. long may we remember those stirring times..were so lucky to live in these times of mass communication.what will future generations make of us.Col Mike Snook.we honour and respect the Noble 24th..warm regards L.J.Knight

Yes, Peter, you can edit your own posts. When you log in, on your particular post up on the right hand side next to the 'quote' is the word 'edit'. Click on that and it will take you through to your post. Then you can edit and submit it again. Very handy for those "did I say that?" moments. And next to that is 'delete' for those "did I really say that?" moments

Dawn
mike snook 2

Alan

Very good. Just a bit of food for thought as I said. It's your show. But perhaps see what the mood from the floor is and whether people would be willing to help, in principle, in some of the ways described.

Regards as ever

Mike

PS. Forgot to say - Of course as the owner and chief executive you don't have to go through the rigmarole of an election, if it looks like being a wearisome process or an unsound idea - you could simply appoint people as your 'academic' or 'management' or 'Weapons' or 'Uniforms' or 'South African' or 'North American' (or any other kind of) advisers.
rich

Ladies and gentlemen..

Some of you no doubt know the personage of an esteemed writer named Samuel Johnson. I like Sammy. I think he would be a fellow that I could drink Guinness after Guinness with in a nice cozy London pub. Great writer and he did give you guys a great dictionary. He can write it like it is with some great insight:

"Much of the pain and pleasure of mankind arises from conjectures which everyone makes of the thoughts of others".

Now isn't he the smart fellow?

Rich
There's just one problem with that.

Where would you find a nice cozy London pub? Smile

Site Admin

I've thought about this lately. One thought was to expand the forum rules to include guidelines and limitations, acceptance of which would be implicit in being a member. I then thought that the guidelines are there, it's only the interpretation which is being stretched. Members should accept that reasonable language is part of membership. Any disagreement over topics or interpretations of them should always be conducted properly in words which are not open to misunderstanding. Some words when spoken can look completely different in print. That's a reasonable argument for having emoticons.

The idea that there should be consultants or moderators on certain topics or from differents parts of the world is really a non-starter. Anyone undertaking such a role would feel inhibited in expressing their personal views without appearing to take sides. As it is, we already have a global panel of experts to do that. The problem arises when 'experts' (and we have many), lose patience with those with less knowledge but with equal enthusiasm for the subject.

There should be more tolerence for all sides of any discussion. I am aware of many who were contributors but either felt intimidated or inadequate when there is no room for those with a lesser knowledge.

I think that the system we have in place is basically sound but can erupt with the smallest of sparks. I shall contact members directly if I notice something which I think needs addressing so that they may wish to considerlooking afgain at what was said or how it was said. Similarly, members can contact me or the contributor direct through personal email.

As to the scope of topics open for discussion, I can't accept a hard and fast ruling on that e.g. only being able to quote from primary sources. Theories or comments can be made as long as the source is clearly stated and any quotes clearly attributed and in quotation marks.

I'm happy to have any comments on this but will have to stop now as I'm off for a curry.

In a hurry for a curry, are you, Alan? Wink

I agree. I still think it comes down to think before you post - or edit after. Sometimes, before submitting, I preview the post. There's something about looking at it as it would appear on the forum that just splashes cold water on a heated post. Then it's easy to correct before it's on the public forum.

And then to take correction with good grace. And quote your sources, primary or secondary, then we are all reading from the same page.

And that's the lesson for today. Smile

Dawn

Last edited by Dawn on Fri Sep 19, 2008 1:10 am; edited 1 time in total
Sawubona

And we should all attempt to avoid idioms and slang usage that is incomprehensible to foreigners. Wink (Hey look , the first emoticon I've ever used- does it lend the proper sense of "tongue in cheek/only kidding"?) I'll bite. What exactly is "a curry"?
Mel

Sawubona
I didn't realise that you guys across the pond don't know what a curry is.
You'll be telling us next that you have never heard of a "Balti"
You just don't know what you're missing.
I'll scan a menu and send it to you.

Curry = a hot spicy dish originating from India.

Briyani is my fav.

Dawn
Sawubona

I've certainly heard of curry (powder) as a spice -I believe I have some in the cabinet-- just not as the dish itself. To say to "have a curry" over here would make about as much sense as telling someone that I was "going out to have an oregano". Frankly, most people would guess I had some "oddball" (and likely illegal) proclivities.
Barbara Grant

Well, we do have curries down in my part of the desert, but I admit I've never heard of a "Balti." Sorry, Mel, I can't tell if you were joking (were you? I've honestly never heard of that before.)

Barbara
Dawn

Mmmm, I've lived in a lot of places in my life, and wherever I've gone "curry' refers to the whole dish, not just the spice.

Now look what's happened. We've gone from discussing conduct on the forum to discussion of Indian dishes. My, how these threads wander.

Sorry, Mike, for abusing your thread. Please forgive us.

Dawn
Complaint