rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Complaint
mike snook 2

Alan

I would like to draw your attention to the thread 'Colonel in command...' where vile slanders against holders of the Victoria Cross have been perpetrated. This is not in keeping with the tone and purpose of this forum as commonly understood by the membership. I am sure I am not the only one amongst us who will find the assertions at issue deeply offensive. Many students and schoolchildren now use this site as a historical resource. It seems to me that the membership has a common duty to behave responsibly therefore. Wholly unfounded accusations of suicide and now, breathtakingly, murder, amongst the officers of my regiment, men who met their ends bravely, in the best traditions of the service, are nothing short of contemptible.

Yours Sincerely

Mike Snook
peterw

Mike raises a number of valid points.

I dismissed some of the more bizarre notions in the Colonel thread as being entirely without merit. Anyone dipping into the AZW for the first time may give them rather more credence and that would be disappointing (as would be their marks in any subsequent essay).

Mike is a guardian of his regiment's customs and history, and I had not fully appreciated the dismay that these theories would cause. These comments impact on the living, as well as the reputation of the dead.

It's a timely reminder that contributors need to exercise greater judgement when theorising what might have been.

Peter
Alan
Site Admin

Mike,

my understanding was that this was a quote from the Natal press at the time.
Peter Harman who placed the original did not use quotation marks but nevertheless it was stated at the
beginning of the piece.

I'm not sure that relating an article, however incredible the content, constitutes an affront to a VC holder.
At that time of course, he hadn't been awarded the VC. The submissions which followed it treated as it was
meant to be, a report which was worthy of ridicule.

I hope the Peter Harman can reassure us that this was indeed a quote.

I'm in Mike's camp on this one. While we invite opinions and comments, I think that bold statements made without being substantiated don't quite belong on this forum.

Dawn
Alan
Site Admin

OK, I've deleted the current reference and subsequent comments.

It was not my intension to offend anyone either living or dead ,and would like to apologise for any up-set caused.

Alan the answer to your question yes it was a quote.

For the time being I will take a back seat as a spectator on the forum until the anger as subsided.

Once again please accept my sincere apology.

Regards

Harman P.
Paul Bryant-Quinn

My hope is that I may be considered as one of those who responded in a measured manner to that particular thread. The insinuations of suicide were, as Col Snook knows and as the subsequent discussion showed, contemporary. While there is not a shred of evidence to suggest that any British officer did commit suicide at Isandlwana, I consider it wholly appropriate that once the point had been raised, it was met head on, discussed, and shown to be erroneous: that is what good history does. I should be deeply concerned if the thread were to be deleted because Col Snook is offended.

Paul,

the thread isn't deleted, just the particular part.

It is customary when making a protest to know what the issue is Dr B-Q. I don't know why the personal animus in my direction but give it up, Paul, there's a good fellow. As I've never done anything to hurt you, it begins to look ever so slightly unbecoming.

Since you did not see the material at issue, it would be prudent to avoid leaping on your high horse. History did not come into it. Let alone good history.

As you may plainly see Peter and Dawn were also offended and have taken the trouble to say so. Others will also have felt the same way. Furthermore the umpire has ruled - Out.

MRS
Alan
Site Admin

Some of these remarks are now becoming veiled patronisation. I think all of our contributors are worthy of better, receiving and giving. It doesn't help for harmony, after all I thought we were on the same side. Incidentally, to call someone Dr B-Q in one breath and Paul in another is a little calculated. If the signatory is Paul, that's his name.

I'm becoming just a little irritated as you may have gathered.

Alan - as there is no provision on this site for members to delete their own profiles, I should be grateful if you could delete it for me.

With thanks,

Paul

Paul in hind-sight I feel that we are both letting Alan down. He has tried to moderate the particular issue.

It does appear that some people have been up-set by one of my posts which was not my intension.

You play an active part on this forum and that�s what makes it all worth while.
I find most of you posts interesting and your comments build-up the knowledge data-base on this subject.

Personally I feel we should move on and put it behind us. I hope the other forum users involved in Mike�s last post agree.
Dawn

Paul, I hope you will rethink your decision. The post itself was not offensive, it was just the last few statements that Peter made in bold that were a little outrageous and prompted Mike's response. Mike was understandably offended, and while his complaint was strongly worded, he did have a point.

I think it just shows that everyone should remember that this is an open forum and to think about what we post before we post it - or after, as posts can be edited or deleted.

Dawn
Sawubona

Paul, I have always welcomed your lucid and articulate postings (although where you get some of your eclectic store of knowledge remains a mystery to me) and I would sorely miss your input. Your suicide during the Second Battle of Isandlwana would be regrettable (black humor has long been my idiom, sorry). You might as well stand and fight as the Zulu have already cut the track back to the border anyway.
John Young

Mike,

Re-your reply:
Since you did not see the material at issue, it would be prudent to avoid leaping on your high horse...

Paul very obviously did see the Peter Harman's material, that I posted from the old forum, as he responded to it reaching the same conclusion that both Peter Ewart and I came to back in 2002. When we likened it to Cluedo at Isandlwana.

I hope that clarifies things?

John Y.
Complaint