rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Cetshwayo's Grave
Mel

I am currently planning my next visit to SA for Oct. next year. I intend to visit the gravesite of Cetshwayo. Has any one any travel advice and recommendations on Guides, 4 wheel vehicle req'd?. Which is the most suitable place for accomodation and the start of the days journey? Hours required? Are the locals along the way friendly? (There have been recent discussions on certain areas not welcoming visitors.)
Thanks for any advice.

Hi Mel

Went down there a year or so ago and would strongly recommend a guide. There is little personal risk but the route is very difficult and you need a car with a high wheelbase. It may also be impossible to travel in wet weather, or afterwards. I used Rex Duke, the son of the late Fred Duke and I am sure that he would be able to help you. He also runs a very nice place at Ondini, on the site of the museum and Cetshwayo's ikhanda which is very clean and comfortable, as well as reasonably priced. You can contact Rex at [email protected]. The jump off spot for the grave site is Melmoth, where Rex lives, so he might be able to find you some accommodation there. While I was with him, we also found Fort Evelyn, which is not marked, so that might be an interesting place to visit.

Let me know off-site if there is anything else I can help you with.
KIS
Andrew Garton

Look at David Rattray's Guide to AZW.I think that would be of a great help to you!
Best Regards
Andrew
Mike McCabe

You should also consider visiting the small stone memorial at Eshowe cmmemorating the site of his death.

MC McC
Keith Smith

Mel

I forgot to mention a couple of things. First, the weather in October is usually quite dry so travel down there should not be a problem. Second, from Melmoth it takes about 90 mins to 2 hours each way. Finally, if you do go to Ulundi, and perhaps stay with Rex Duke (The Holiday Inn is is good but expensive), ask him to take you on the old road to see (a) Gqokli Hill, site of Shaka's famous battle with Zwide, and (b) the south bank of the Mfolosi river where the British camped. You can see the bluff on the other side where the Zulus shot at the bathers and water carriers. Nearby is Fort Nolela, up the hill from the river. All well worth a visit.
KIS
Mel

Many thanks for the valued advice and suggestions.