rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Colour Sgt Insignia question.
NTaylor

The following photograph shows a 12" figure I've made of a Colour Sgt of the 24th. It's loosely based on Colour Sgt Bourne, but I don't have an accurate headsculpt of the actual man to use.

It has sgt chevrons on the right sleeve, below the crossed flags patch, which at the time I thought correct. After reading through this forum, I now believe the insignia should be a crown above the chevrons. My question is how big, and of what was the crown made. Was it embroidered, and a similar size to the crown on the crossed flags patch, or was it metal similar to later staff sgt insignia of WW1 and WW2?

Any help to correct it would be greatly appreciated, and if you spot any other mistakes with the figure please don't hesitate to let me know.

Thanks in advance.

John Young

Nick,

The crown was embroided, rather than metal. I'd advise just lose the crossed flags and position the crown as per the staff sergeant rank.

John Y.
NTaylor

Thanks for your help John. Once again you've cleared things up for me. Very Happy

Am I also correct in not having him wear the sash on active service?

PRS

Nick

Very nice looking model.
Do you make these to sell ?
Would be interested.

Thanks
Regards
PRS

Nick,

Interesting point on the sash.

In the well-known group shot of 'B' Company taken at Pinetown, Frank Bourne isn't wearing a sash. However, in an engraving of the 24th on the march in the 1878 Graphic based on a sketch by Charles Fripp, the Colour-Sergeant is wearing his sash.

In another Pinetown group of 'G' Company, 2nd/24th Colour-Sergeant Ross isn't wearing his sash, yet in an on campaign photograph he is wearing his sash.

Flip a coin!

John Y.
NTaylor

PRS, I'm afraid I don't make them to sell. Free-time (or lack of it) limits me to making one figure about every six months! The 24th Colour Sgt took many, many hours of work; it has leather boots and gaiters, fabric covered helmet, scratch made belt and equipment. I have a couple of friends who consider comissions, I could always ask them if you like. Thanks for your kind words on this model though. I'm currently working on soldiers of the 99th and KRRC, and I'll post some photos when they are done.

John, thanks again for your further input. Again it will come in very handy when I come to altering this model.

Coll

I'd be interested in a personality figure, if the same quality and detail of the model shown, who would be Col. A.W. Durnford, R.E., as he appeared at Isandlwana.

I had hoped Dragon Models (?) may eventually have considered such, but I think it is not to be.

I'm hoping to have a poster-size portrait of him soon, as well as a recent painting. A figure could complete the collection.

May I ask what sort of costs it would be ?

Thankyou

Coll
NTaylor

Coll, thanks for your interest in my figure. Personality figures are pretty difficult, since there is only a good sculpt of Fred Hitch comercially available in 1/6th scale. My figure does utilise the Dragon Models Sgt Jones as a starting point. The Jones model is very hard to find now, but another company, DID, have released a 24th Foot figure in the last fortnight.
http://www.onlinedid.com/products/british_empire/80053/
It is very much a copy of the Dragon figure with some extra mistakes thrown in. I will speak to my friend over the weekend, as to whether he can do a comissioned piece of Durnford, and what costs may be and get back to you.

Here are a couple of detailed shots of my Colour Sgt.

The Martini Henry that comes with the Dragon figure is missing it's breech block, and is in the 'ready to fire' position. I've altered mine to represent loading and made a breech block from putty. At the time the photos were taken, GS buttons were not available in this scale. They are now, however, and will replace the ones shown in the photo when I alter the insignia on the sleeve.

All the equipment has been made from leather and cotton, replacing the original figure's items.

NTaylor

NTaylor wrote:
Coll, I will speak to my friend over the weekend, as to whether he can do a comissioned piece of Durnford, and what costs may be and get back to you.

I have spoken to my friend about the possibility of a comissioned figure, and unfortunately he's not taking on any new comissions at the moment due to other commitments.

Coll

That's okay.

My finances are a bit low at present anyway.

Thanks for asking and returning with the reply. Wink

Coll
Colour Sgt Insignia question.