rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Hi, locations, location,location
naseby

Can anyone please 'pinpoint' the actual location of Zulu? I know it was in the Royal Natal National Park, but I am looking for the above view on Google Earth - including the 'pointy' rock! I believe it was 'about' at Thendele. Rorke's Drift, the real one, still a bit fuzzy on GE (Thanks to you all).
Sawubona

Pretty tough to miss as the dominate feature in the background of many scenes in the movie is The Amphitheater, a sheer cliff face about 2000 feet high and several miles long buttressed at each end by two mountains about 5000 feet tall. I haven't Google-earthed it myself, but enter Tugela Falls (or however it's spelled on the map, probably Thukela) and that will put you right in the middle of the Amphitheater. Follow the river downstream a short distance (half a mile?) and that'll put you right on location. Or if you had a real good arm, the mission station set was a stones thrown down the ridge from the Royal Natal Hotel. Interestingly, Tugela Falls is either the second or third highest waterfall in the world!
Some guy named ngiyaxolia has a video on Youtube that cuts back and forth from scenes in the movie to snapshots taken of the site from the same spot. It probably would turn up in a search for "Zulu location".
Sawubona

Just checked out GE and I can see why you're not having a good time finding things on it. By the look of the photo, travel south on the road past Bonjeneni, but not as far as Thendele Camp. About midway between those two points is a complex of buildings amid a web of roads. I believe that's the old Royal Natal Hotel complex. If so, Zulu was filmed a few hundred yards south west of those buildings, but on the same side of the Tugela River (such as it is there). Pretty sure I'm correct.
Thanks, Sawubona!
naseby

Thanks for your speedy help, pal - will have a go. Nice info, especially the YouTube quote. take care and keep up the good work! Marc (naseby)
Sawubona

In interest of accuracy and to satisfy a slightly obsessive compulsive urge on my part (LOL), the pointy rock in the right hand background of many scenes in "ZULU" is at : 28* 42' 08.36" S, 28* 55' 54.52"E. The film location was between the forks in the road south west of the hotel complex. I'm sure that thats the hotel as the roundavel huts can be seen slightly north east of the main building.
naseby

excellent thanks again mate!
tom

Mel

Marc
Here is GE with locations
Double click on it and you should get a larger image.

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2224189560103390575Paidvu?vhost=good-times
(Can some one tell me how to post the actual larger image?)

Mel, thanks very much for that - much appreciated, take care and keep up the good work for all us AZ enthusiasts. Enjoy!
Sawubona

Mel, Nicely done! It threw me for a second since somehow it's turned out upside down (North West to the bottom), but I flipped it in Photoshop and saved it. Thanks. Keep the fun questions coming, naseby!
naseby

Dear Tom - thanks for that - that's an awesome link. Thanks again, well done, that's a site I didn't know about and it seems excellent! Take care, Marc
naseby

Will try, Saw, will try! Buy thanks to you and all on here who help make it fascinating, informative and fun, too! Cheers!
Hi, locations, location,location