rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Sapper Mason

I hope the Joshua Lodge inquiry was read in the context of my original query because i don`t want to cast a cloud on any person who has confirmed 101% that Pte J Lodge is indeed buried where stated , i have plenty of documentation on others but Pte Lodge tends to be forgotten in the main because of the closeness of the grave of Pte W Jones VC , each man in that whole campaign deserves the same amount of attention and if those with a vested interest can pool resources and research so much the better . I am still a green novice when it comes to the in depth knowledge of such as Ian Knight , John Young and Ian Castle but i try . The grave of Cpl French for instance is a project i am now involved with and the discovery of an 11th child for FRED HITCH VC is a recent development that has got me buzzing again .

Can someone please tell me in which country QM Bloomfield was born in ? , i have discovered his brother was born in London and became a policeman , however i have seen a date of birth in the Noble 24TH in Nov 1835 but no country , was it Scotland ? . I do know QM Bloomfield was married twice and had three children and am still trying to ascertain the exact details of the birth of his first child although i know where she was born but not the EXACT date , it is these sort of things that keep a forum open and fresh . My last question today is perhaps an old chestnut but an " update " with the advent of better research engines makes me ask once again , did FRED HITCH actually go to Brecon after all , evidence has come to light which makes me ask this oft asked question once again . I cede to those with better knowledge and skillls in research than i have at this time , thank you , Graham .
Edward Bear

".......which all goes to show the perils of reading poorly-researched work"

This remark underpins commentaries drawing on:
- Zulu Victory
- FWD Jackson
- Isandlwana 1879 The Great Zulu Victory
- Historical Records of the 24th (1892)
- Greaves CTB
- Martine Everett research - no slouch, he!

Perhaps you might now provide us with the 'footnotes' that demonstrate that you alone are right.

EB
Julian whybra

Edward Bear
You have related my remark to these particular works, not me. And, of course, it is not me alone that is right. Some of the works you list would agree with me. As an example look at the footnotes in Hill of the Sphinx relating to the company locations - you'll find they are unassailable.
Perhaps you might now provide us with the name behind your alias. I have no idea who you are but if you�re going to hide behind anonymity, please, in future, try to avoid attributing to me inaccurate remarks about people whom I regard as friends and acquaintances. It has repercussions beyond this forum.

Last edited by Julian whybra on Wed Nov 09, 2005 12:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Julian whybra

!!

Last edited by Julian whybra on Wed Nov 09, 2005 12:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Julian whybra

!!

Last edited by Julian whybra on Wed Nov 09, 2005 12:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Julian whybra

!!

Last edited by Julian whybra on Wed Nov 09, 2005 12:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Julian whybra

!!

Last edited by Julian whybra on Wed Nov 09, 2005 12:44 pm; edited 2 times in total
Who comanded what?