rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
smithart101

thanks Dewi,

my Melvill and Coghill painting is almost finished. If anyone has any requests for subjects let me know. I will post it for comments.
My next will be Colour Sergeant Booth
winning the VC and then a 17th lancer subject.

regards
Simon

Simon,

I look forward to your post, fantastic Smile

Thanks,

Dewi.
John Young

Simon,

Don't forget it was Sergeant A. C. Booth on the day at Ntombe.

Regards,

John
mike snook 2

Simon

Here's an idea - the fight on the firing line at Isandlwana. Lots of last stand iconography about which I like very much and collect - but what about the bit where we were winning for a while and the thin red line is still intact. You could freeze time to have the 24th about to deliver a volley from the present - or perhaps in the seconds after a volley, as the smoke billows away, and the blokes in the act of ejecting cases and reloading and so on.

Here's another one - what about a 24th rallying square in the process of retreating from the firing line to the last stand positions - something conveying cohesion, firepower and movement in the direction of the saddle, wounded being helped along, officers directing fire, sergeants holding it all together - Zulus menacing but crouched in cover at a distance, in the middle ground, others in the background, outside the immediate influence of the rallying square, assaulting more fluidly towards the tents. That sort of thing.

Are you up for any other Victorian subjects?

As ever

Mike
Coll

Simon

Please mark me down for a print of 'Durnford Rides Out'.

May I ask if you would consider a 'combination piece', with different scenes going on, but with, perhaps, the commanding officers in head and shoulder shots as the larger central image ?

Thankyou

Coll

Last edited by Coll on Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
smithart101

very interesting..... Yes, Isandlwana is on the list as a major piece. Something like that needs to be about 30 inches by 50 to properly convey the epic nature of the scene.
I am more inclined to your first idea, the depiction of the 24th's fighting withdrawl towards the camp with the horse artillery fighting their way through if that is historically accurate.Please let me know on that!

As for other Victorian wars, I'm working on the Charge of the Light Brigade at the moment and am eagerly collecting as much material as possible. If anyone has been there and got accurate photos of the terrain, particularly the distant heights as seen in the view from Caton Woodvilles famous painting, then please help!
Other than that I hope to get round to the Sudan and Maiwand

regards
Simon

Coll,
yes will do re the print.
In my experience, the film poster format isn't as popular as the usual scene type though I know what you are getting at.
There probably is a market for depictions of individuals from the AZW on a smaller scale, perhaps a postcard format.
regards
Simon

Simon

Yes. I understand.

Many thanks about the Durnford print.

About other subjects, may I suggest the stand of the mixed force in front of the nek, before Durnford joined them, as N.C., N.M.P., etc., under the command of Capt. Bradstreet and Lt. Scott, had dismounted there after fighting a rear-guard action at the donga, withdrawing to this position and fought on foot.

I'd have liked Col. Durnford included, but the print of him is great, so to have a painting of the Colonial Volunteers, etc., making their initial stand, would be excellent.

Thanks again

Coll
Coll

Simon

May I ask this question.

I've been comparing Col. Durnford constantly with Gen. Custer, Isandlwana with Little Bighorn, but I don't think I've seen a Custer painting in which he looks like his portrait.

In the same sort of scale as your Col. D. painting, with Custer mainly the central figure, would you consider painting him in a scene, wearing the clothing he wore at the Little Bighorn ?

Perhaps standing beside his flag, with a pistol in each hand, or a pistol and a sword, or more unusually, firing a pistol with his right hand, but clutching his Remington Sporting rifle in his left.

I don't think there's ever been a painting of him which includes his rifle.

Thankyou

Coll
smithart101

Coll
I think that would be a good subject, thanks for the suggestion. I assume you could help out with the appropriate references when the time comes?

regards
Simon

Simon

Gen. Custer has quite a few admirers on the site, so what I might lack information-wise, others may be able to assist.

If I may add one or two more -

The Battle at Camerone, a previous subject discussed on this site, which was about 60+ French Legionnaires defending a walled farmhouse surrounded by 2,000 Mexicans. I've only seen one, maybe two images of this.

Sadly, it's an engagement not really covered much in books, but it is famous in its own right. A painting of this would be superb.

Also, The Alamo has been covered in-depth, but (another) of my heroes is Jim Bowie, and I liked the idea of 'Bowie at Bay', where the image shows him sitting up on his sick bed, back against the wall for support, a pistol in each hand pointing forward, with his famous Bowie knife sticking vertically, point-first in a table or something similar, beside him, bracing himself for the Mexicans bursting through the door.

I hope you don't mind me making these other suggestions.

Best

Coll
mike snook 2

Coll

I bought a little diroama piece at Xmas of Bowie sat in his bed fighting off a couple of Mexicans. Saw it on the internet - a Hong Kong firm. I think they are called King and Country or something like that. You should be able to find them quite readily - let me know if you can't. It's a metal 4 piece diorama which arrives pre-painted. Quite expensive but it's found a little niche for itself on a shelf somewhere.

As ever

Mike
Coll

Mike

Thanks for the information.

It is King and Country, and I can see ol' Jim's Bowie knife at the side of his bed. Nice diorama.

If you are interested, I saw another diorama in 1/24th scale in the Hobby Bunker (U.S.?) site, by Dragon Models (DML) which has a set of 5 figures - Bowie half-sitting, half-lying on the ground with knife in hand, beside him Travis standing with drawn sword, next to him Crockett standing with clubbed rifle, they are confronting 2 Mexicans. Looks good, not sure if it supplied ready painted.

Also, there is a Custer's Last Stand diorama, 1/24th scale, 5 figures - Custer centre, standing hatless, with pistol in each hand, trooper standing firing pistol, trooper wounded and falling, trooper kneeling firing pistol, trooper kneeling with carbine at the ready.

Don't know if the quality is up to much, and obtaining such items from the U.S. is difficult, but they do look good, if wishing a scale model representation of the main commanders.

Thanks again

Coll
Commissioning A Colour Plate Of Col. Durnford's Uniform ?