rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Roger Lane
Neil Aspinshaw

It saddened me Greatly to hear the news of the passing of Roger Lane earlier this week.
For anyone who came across Roger you could never be amazed by his sheer enthusiasm for the AZW and the men who fought in the battles. His larger than life persona and energy never ceased to amaze me. You always knew if you promised to ring Roger, and, if you didn't ring by the alloted hour he would ring me on every phone number he had for me until he got me.

Rogers grandfather was Sgt Henry Gallagher DCM and Roger never would let a day go by without remembering Henry, a Rorke's Drift Man.

On 22.1.08 we had the privellage of laying a wreath at Rorke's Drift on behalf of Roger, who's ill health prevented his travelling, in attendance was a Zulu Prince and the Great grandson of Dublamaze. In the golden evening sunlight , at about 4.30pm we lay the wreath at the foot of the obelisk, I hope somewhere big Roger was with us.

Neil

So sorry to hear of Rogers passing. I am sure that your tribute would have pleased him immensely.

Carl
Alan
Site Admin

Peter and I wish to add our condolences to Roger's family.
If you go to Isandlwana Lodge, you'll see quite a few pictures of him around the place. He is no.4 in the 'News' section picture of 25th. April 2005.
http://www.rorkesdriftvc.com/news.php?offset=20

Dear Neil,
sorry to hear of Roger's passing away. I attended the Sgt Gallagher re-dedication and Roger treated everybody well and equally;it was a great occassion, which all the desendants of Rorke's Drift men
who attended, remember fondly.
Roger also worked tirelessly, on my behalf, to try to establish contact with 593's family from his second marriage, sadly to no avail, but he did his best for me. A passionate and tireless campaigner on behalf of his great grandfather and Rorke's Drift men and their descendants in general.
On behalf of myself and my ancestor 593 Private William Jones VC, my
condolences and sympathies are with Roger's family at this sorrowful time.

Tony Jones.
Condolences.
TonyJones

Dear Neil,
Sandra Barker, the great grandaughter of 1362 Private Fred Hitch VC , defender of Rorke's Drift, has asked me to pass her family's sympathies and condolences on to all members of Roger's family, as has Mo Jones, the founder of our group Usuthu! on behalf of himself and members. Myself and Sandra are to organise a group of descendants of 'Rorke's Drift Men', as Roger would have put it, to attend Roger's funeral. Any descendants of Rorke's Drift men who would like to join mine and Sandra's group of descendants, can feel free to contact me by private message on this site, or by the e-mail addresses and places of listed on my profile.

Tony Jones.
Sympthy message
Kris

The descendant families of Pte Caleb Wood, Pte Robert Tongue, and Pte James Marshall, would all like to extend their deepest condolence to Roger's family at this very sad time. He will be greatly missed by many.

Kris Wheatley.
Neil Aspinshaw

Tony and All

I hope as many decendants and Red tunics as possible will be at Rogers Funeral, I certainly will be there. I would be delighted to do a few bangs from the Teenie for him.

In October Roger organised a wreath laying at the Boer War Memorial in Norwich, which was a super little envent, which I, Harry plus Graham Langhorne and some of Roger's "Norfolks" took part.

You know the funny thing with Big Roger is he was having a good laugh with me right up to the day we went off to Rorke's Drift, He rang about the wreath we were going to lay for him on the 22nd. I joked had his hair fallen out?, he said partly. I said " good! 'cos when it has I have a tin of white emulsion and a 24th helmet badge, I was going to paint his head white and stick on the plate with no-nails", Roger laughed so much he dropped the handset,

I hope to see a few friends at Roger's Funeral seeing an old friend off.
Neil

TonyJones

Dear Neil,
I have spoken to Sandra Barker again today. I can confirm to you that I will be in red tunic etc when we say farewell to Roger. I was supposed to join Roger next year at Rorke's Drift when we were both to take our uniforms with us. It's a shame he never got to see me in the uniform, as he had been quite helpful in helping me to obtain one. Cheers.

Tony.
Roger Lane