rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Mike Snook

Paul

No 9 Coy 1/3 NNC under J F Lonsdale was an isiGqoza Coy. The other two coys of the clan were with Browne. Murray's coy was 2/3 NNC (AW Cooper's Bn). But Lonsdale's headman was 'Malindi.'

So your man might not have been attached to a coy at all - but may have been a battalion or regimental 'asset'.

Regards

Mike
Julian whybra

Paul
I believe it was Duncombe's coy.
Julian whybra

Mike S
Where is the evidence to suggest that Malindi was an inDuna at Isandhlwana?
Keith Smith

Paul

Not sure if I said so earlier but the three iziGqoza companies were nos 8, 9 and 10 of the 1st Battalion. Lonsdale's 9th was at Isandlwana under Capt. James Lonsdale (no relation to Rupert). The other two, 8 and 10, were with Hamilton-Browne on the extended reconnaissance and ended up with him observing the attack on Isandlwana from a knoll about three miles away. H-B says that the previous day (21st) two companies went back to camp with cattle they had lifted during the morning. In fact, only Capt. Orlando Murray took his No. 1 Company 2nd Battalion back - he was killed during the battle, together with his lieutenant, Pritchard, but there is no account of the whereabouts of his company.
KIS
Mike Snook

Julian

At work and nowhere near notes at present - but off the top of the head I may have taken a secondary source at face value on the subject of Malindi. Do you have doubts?

M
Music and the 24th's band