rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
19 inch curved bayonet .
Sapper Mason

Smile ,
Greetings forum ,
Can anyone help with a query please ? , i am still trying to obtain the 19 inch curved bayonet to get that bit closer to the correct weaponry of a Sgt RE c 1879 ( re-enactment purposes ) , i have a lunger bayonet & scabbard as part exchange . I did see one on offer for � 160 ! so if you can cut me a better deal , please get in touch , " Sapper " . Cool
19" curved bayonet
whiteheadalfie

Dear Sapper

I have forwarded your request to a man who may be able to help. He is one of the leading experts in the World on bayonets.

I see you served in the RE's in Hameln. What year (s)? I was in the dreaded Rough Engineering Made Easy and was with 28 Amphibious 1977-79.

Regards

Paul
Neil Aspinshaw

You really need a Yataghan, bushed for a MH. You do occasionally see them but expect to pay �200+ for a really good one.

There are some 20th century "replicas" about, buyer beware, they are marked INDIA.
Neil

Heres a photograph of some of the Martini Henry Bayonets I have. By no means comprehensive but the most commonly found.
Top P1853/74 17 inch (bushed Enfield.) triangular C1874-80
Second P1876 22 inch triangular C1876-1900
Third P1853 Yataghan sword bayonet (bushed) C1853-81
Forth P1887 Mk1 sword bayonet (fullered blade). The P1887 Mk3 is the same but with coil spring and no fullering C1887-1900
Bottom P1877 Artillery sawback bayonet for Carbine C1877-1900

Sapper Mason

Very Happy ,
Dear " Whitehead Alfie " ,
You are forgiven serving in REME , someone had to ! , i was in 1st Fld Sqn RE at Nienberg in 1969 when the call for fitters came to go Hameln , the original 3 month detachment lasted 8 and a half years , a great time for me working on those " rigs " , ironic that after all these years i now re-enact as an RE C 1879 still on the lookout for that 19 inch curved bayonet ( i still have a lunger bayonet with scabbard for part exchange ) to add to the overall effect , if i have not replied in any format to you on this i apologise as of now. Check out the links , you will find me there under archivist , all the best , " Sapper " Wink
Bayonets
Sapper Mason

Very Happy,
Dear Neil , Great set of bayonets there , i still have the lunger with scabbard ( scabbard not too good condition ) for part exchange , i am still on the look out for the 19 inch curved one for re-enactment purposes , please get in touch and lets see if we can come to some agreement , cheers , " Sapper " . Wink
Phoenix Antique Arms
William Seymour

Not sure if this website will be of any use, but I know one of the partners who has just nailed a wasp nest in my roof!
Try www.oldguns.co.uk as they also sell bayonets etc as well as Martini Henrys and other antique weapons.
JK
19 inch curved bayonet .