rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
A soldier in the Staffordshire Regiment
William Seymour

This is my first posting Wink . First a confession, William Seymour is a nom de plume as he was my Great Uncle K.I.A. Isandlwana. He was a shoeing smith from the 80th but detached to the I.M.I.. 2 of his letters home have recently been published thanks to Robert Hope, one written only a week before he died.
I am asking for 2 bits of help involving the following picture which I hope comes over OK:
[url=http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x57/JKe1ghley/JohnSeymour.jpg]

All being well you should see a photo which another member of this forum, (JY), has already seen and described as follows:

'The uniform is something of a strange amalgam. The cap is a Field Service cap introduced in the mid-1880's when it replaced the Glengarry. However the tunic is the 1882 serge frock. The 'jam-pot' cuffs were introduced in 1881, following the Cardwell Reforms and were retained until 1902. The belt is the modified Slade-Wallace one, putting its manufacture post-1888. On to the medals; the first on the left is the 1877-8-9 South African Campaign model. Next is the 1882-6 Egyptian Campaign medal, withe Khedive's Star. The one on the right - the wrong breast is a puzzle. It might be a Life Saving award or another medal belonging to a deceased family member (my italics)'.

The family beleive that the photo is of one John Seymour and that William's S.A. medal is on his right breast. However, and this is where I need help, I cannot trace a person of that name that ticks all the boxes. If anyone has seen the photo before or can supply another possible name I would be grateful.

The other piece of help needed, is that of any website where the actual colours of the uniform, medals, stripes etc can be viewed or failing that a book, so that a friend of mine can colour enhance it as accurately as possible.

Thanks
JK
Graves1879

Hi JK

This website might help

http://www.diggerhistory.info/pages-medals/colonial.htm

Graves1879
peterw

Interesting. I concur with John on the Khedive's Star and the SAGS but the one in the middle confuses me. Logically it should be the Egypt and Sudan medal but the claw/suspender does not seem quite right.

I think the one on the right could be the India medal 1849-95.

Peter
Sean Sweeney

This is the image link;

Neil Aspinshaw

I go with Peter on the IGS, I have an 80th 1879 Medal and the matching IGS (Perak Clasp) to 182 Pvt H Knowles 80th foot. This does appeat to be a common pair to 80th, A C Booth VC refused the Parak clasp as he claimed he was not present.

If it is Seymours 1879 medal, one can only guess at its value today, with only Sgt Johnson, Pvts Chesterton, Holman, McDonald, Thompson and Whitehouse

Being an ex member of the 80th re-enactment group I had some long discussions with Robert Hope, his book on the 80th and the AZW is the definative work.

Sean
Thank you for managing to achieve what I had intended but failed! Perhaps you could email me privately and explain how to do it properly. Smile

Graves1879
Thank you for the websites which I will peruse when I have more time.

Neil
I will have to show my ignorance and ask what IGS stands for!
It is possible that William's medal remains within the family as other artifacts have been passed down. This includes a tea towel bought by William for his mum, depicting the 80th Staffordshire Regiment which has been framed and hangs on a relative's wall. William had 1 brother and 5 sisters. His brother and one of the sisters died young. The other 4 went on to have families, 3 of which are in contact. The fourth has so far eluded me despite contacts in Genes Reunited who don't want to talk! I live in hope.

JK
peterw

IGS = India General Service (India medal)

Peter
William Seymour

I have since revisited J.Y.'s original email, and he was unsure as to the medal on the right, and wondered if it was a Life-Saving award.
JK
Pte Seymour
Sapper Mason

Very Happy ,
Dear " William Seymour " ,
In 2001 i was part of a DOUBLE GRAVE DEDICATION ceremony in Manchester , one of the graves dedicated was that of Sgt FREDRICK Augustus Millne of Rorke's drift fame , the other was a memorial to Pte William Seymour of the 80th , some members of the 80th re-enactment group were present including one Jim Buckle of this group , i would be happy to converse with you on this matter and my home e - mail can be found ( under Archivist ) to the Anglo Zulu war group in one of the links attached to this forum , please send me a private mail and i will be happy to respond , best wishes , " Sapper " . Wink
A soldier in the Staffordshire Regiment